HWBOT Community Forums

What you need to know about trimmers...

MrGenius

1. They make trimmer adjustment/tuning tools.

1889180279_Adjustmenttool.jpg.6c8c72962c9fdf638beff6d61b2bca75.jpg

2. They make trimmers that are specifically for panel mounting.

1952956145_Panelmounttrimmer.jpg.2dac2b66070142349c68732e6e88bba2.jpg

3. You can get panel mounting retrofit kits for standard trimmers too.

1312636219_Panelmountkit1.jpg.51e3fe826bf20fe6318696b2d12d5043.jpg

883151849_panelmountkit2.jpg.ecba9e377c17571236d073f20499fb2d.jpg

I wish somebody'd told me about these things. Because I use them all the time now. The adjustment tool is the coolest thing since sliced bread. And panel mounting trimmers is just about as cool(if you've got volt mods on components inside a case anyway). Drill hole > mount trimer > adjust trimmer without having to open your case(and/or without having to reach inside your opened case).

GENIUS!

?

Edited by MrGenius

That last kit is Genius !
Not sure I'll prefer it over these, but definitely worth a try if I can find em"

s-l1600.jpg

Edit: when searching for the BOURNS trimmer tool I found this book for those interested enough 
https://www.bourns.com/docs/technical-documents/technical-library/trimmers/publications/onlinepotentiometerhandbook.pdf#page=51 

Edited by GtiJason
  • Like 1

whats wrong with a small screw driver , nothing, does the same job, nice, but dont need all this fancy stuff for a trimmer imo, i do like the 2nd pic though where the knurled knob is extended , could be used withthe fingers, not sure how long it is though, think ill be sticking to the original tried and tested, mine are set up the same way a tap is turned on and off , here anyway, anticlockwise for on and clockwise for shut off

24 minutes ago, ozzie said:

whats wrong with a small screw driver...

Like you said...nothing. But for < $2 you can buy the tool. Which does one thing a screwdriver can't. It's on the end not shown in the pic above. You can probably guess what it is. If you can't...it's got a socket with the blade recessed inside of it. Fits right on the trimmer adjustment knob and prevents it from slipping off while turning. Let's see your screwdriver do that! :P

I wish I could find those long knob trimmers. I'd be all over those too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrGenius said:

Like you said...nothing. But for < $2 you can buy the tool. Which does one thing a screwdriver can't. It's on the end not shown in the pic above. You can probably guess what it is. If you can't...it's got a socket with the blade recessed inside of it. Fits right on the trimmer adjustment knob and prevents it from slipping off while turning. Let's see your screwdriver do that! :P

I wish I could find those long knob trimmers. I'd be all over those too!

thats quite easy to fix mr genius, you just grind or file the tip of the screwdriver down so its thicker to fit the slot perfectly, no slip at all, ive nevr had a problem with it, unless ive had a few beers then all hell breaks lose  ? but thats my fault !!

• Like 1

I found some with finger adjustment knobs.

Some are long...

572766734_Bournslongknob.jpg.924e88247ae715cb1a0a24891bdde5e1.jpg

Some are short...

1151001984_Bournsshortknob.jpg.01b294b9de6a70c70404fea9882359a7.jpg

But either way...it would be nice not having to use a tool at all to adjust them! ?

Here's some links:

Digi-Key

Mouser

EDIT: Looks like those are all single turn though. Which sucks...?

Edited by MrGenius