HWBOT Community Forums

Server usage in Wprime

Wava

I noticed the big discussion about handpicking ES samples, I don't want to discuss that. I want to discuss something completely different. I am talking about using servers with over 20 cpu's for Wprime. I think this isn't fair, because, let's be real, there isn't one of us that can afford such a server. The current Wprime world records are with a server with 32 cpu's and they aren't even overclocked.

Let's quote the rules on this: Hardware sharing "This in a delicate subject as we have to trust on the honesty of those participating at the HWbot that they are indeed using their own hardware and not sharing a golden sample CPU or VGA card."

I doubt it overclockers can buy a 32-cpu-server for getting a world record at Wprime. This way it's really easy to get a cup, and no one can take it from you unless they pay 50k for a server. I think the hwboints should be removed from these scores.

To Wava:

If you think that Hwbot users have to put only the results of their own hardware, waht are you doing with the people having 100 CPU-Z submission? Can you imagine the different platforms they used? Do you think it is possible to afford this hardware?

And what about the people having more than 100 submission in all the 3D benchmarks?

I really don't think you can compare hardware sharing and hardware from your familly or your job.

And if you want to make the comparison how will you prove that this is not the hardware of the benchers? You will just apply the rule on the servers?

I have 5 submissions cpu-z submissions, socket 775 platform and 3 cpu's. Reach 100+ submissions isn't that hard when you bench a lot. Celerons and P4s aren't that expensive anymore and you can get some nice scores with them... Same for old graphics cards.

I think it proves enough when I see a not-overclocked-32-cpu-server getting a world record in Wprime.

Well... for me it is the same when I see a 3DMark 2001 top 50 score with an almost unoverclocked GPU...

Just have a look in the Hardware Masters category and you'll be astonished by the hardware those guys have benched. I cannot think this is their own hardware. Or if it is, they can afford a 32 CPU server easily.

I'm criticizing no-one here, I am also benching hardware from my job and familly. I was just trying to make a point against what Wava said.

Since I am the only bencher at work/familly there is no sharing at all (just saying that in case of someone coming with the sharing issue).

IMO, no-one can say that benching hardware from familly or job is unfair.

This user that has the world record, he's not even a bencher per se. He's just claiming the wprime WR. He has a handfull of submissions, all wprimes, and probably done only to get reasonably aquainted with the bench to get through a quick run with the server without harming 24/7 operations noticably.

IF you are a bencher, you care less about world records. The records that count, is the records for each individual piece of hardware IMO. Ofcourse beating the WR is a big thing, but for personal satisfaction it is just as good knowing that with the cpu you have there is few, if any that can match your skill.

If you want to compete in this, find a serverpark and buy a few processor cycles. Tho finding a >32cpu system that runs windows and let you buy time for a few wprime runs won't be easy. Still, cheaper than buying a system...

To Wava:

If you think that Hwbot users have to put only the results of their own hardware, waht are you doing with the people having 100 CPU-Z submission? Can you imagine the different platforms they used? Do you think it is possible to afford this hardware?

And what about the people having more than 100 submission in all the 3D benchmarks?

I really don't think you can compare hardware sharing and hardware from your familly or your job.

And if you want to make the comparison how will you prove that this is not the hardware of the benchers? You will just apply the rule on the servers?

O_o

It's EASY to get 100 CPUZ validations. You just need alot of time and dedication. And a little bit of cash ofc, but nothing serious. I spend only $250 pr month for computer parts (+ whatever I get from selling my old stuff). It's not exactly a king's ransom if you have the right priorities (unless you live in one of the countries where the wages are very low). I know MANY people who use multiple times what I do on this hobby, but that doesn't prevent me from getting my cups.