HWBOT Community Forums

Haswell cb Issue with Asus boards

steponz

i think i figured out my issue....

Note to all...

put a piece of tape to cover the bottom socket hole on any Asus board... eliminates the risk of vaseline getting into the socket..

otherwise you will end up getting a nasty cb...

I didnt realize it when benching for the HyperX contest and retested today..Lets just say I was bangīng my head alot for this and it would drive me nuts....

My chip had a cb that would go anywhere from -115 to -75...during the contest...

Tested today.. the chip cb's at -132...

Hope this helps someone else.... :)

lol very true..

chip was a 6.3 ghz pifast chip.. 5.9 cinebench ht chip... problem... it died 2 days ago :(

I have tested 2 chips since.. 1st cb at -132, 2nd cb -139....

1st chip hard limit at 6ghz 4 core.. 5.6ghz hard limit ht on..

2nd chip hard limit at 6.1ghz 4 core.. 5.7ghz hard limit ht on..

Both chips are same batch and 2 core there was no difference then 2 core.

1 more of this batch to test..

2 other batches to test...

• Like 1

Aw crap, it's too bad when a good chip dies. About the temp, you sure it's not a bad paste that's giving you a lower "cold bug" temp? Judging by the clocks, they don't seem to scale. On the other side I have a friend with a -130 cb 4670k that did max 5,4 Ghz vantage :D

Anyway thanks for the info in top post, I just got a used M6E without the accessories for cheap, so it will replace my gigabyte. 4x sli/cf is yummy :D

• 7 months later...
i think i figured out my issue....

Note to all...

put a piece of tape to cover the bottom socket hole on any Asus board... eliminates the risk of vaseline getting into the socket..

otherwise you will end up getting a nasty cb...

I didnt realize it when benching for the HyperX contest and retested today..Lets just say I was bangīng my head alot for this and it would drive me nuts....

My chip had a cb that would go anywhere from -115 to -75...during the contest...

Tested today.. the chip cb's at -132...

Hope this helps someone else.... :)

I wonder if getting LET in there would cause the same problem. I didn't realize the hole was there at first and LET came thru to the socket. It didn't touch any pins. I was getting a real nasty cold bug within a huge range of temps. Gonna try a different board. Thanks for the info.