HWBOT Community Forums

Efficiency rankings

Hi everyone,

some people work hard for have good efficiency in our benchmark result, but they can't be always competitive, not all the hwbot member can't spend the same quantity of money.

I wanna discus with you about this idea:

5xSLoZY.png

I'm sorry if some value on the table is incorrect, the example is based on 4770k spi32m rankings.

Efficiency is = frequency(mhz)*time(s)

Improvment rankings is = original rankings - efficiency rankings

Of course the Efficiency rankings can only apply for hw point not global, because you can't compare the frequency of different architetture.

Spi32m is the best candidate because without bugs.

The only problem i see is easy cheating lowering the frequency before save the screen.

Is also probably on this table someone have lowered the frequency for save the result.

I wanna discuss this with the comunity because is important catch new member, but is also important work for keep the overclocker on hwbot.

Is also important for some sponsor, sponsoring efficent guys is more probably some WR, if the WR is the point of sponsorship.

Edited by RULE

There are a few issues with this... for example, you define efficiency where the only relevant measure is the CPU speed, which is wrong. Efficiency must be measured for the system as a whole, if not there's more or less how well the other parts perform - fast ram vs slow ram, some mobos are more efficient than others etc. The other issue is that efficiency improves with a lower CPU multiplier, so someone running 6000Mhz WILL have better efficiency than those running 6600MHz if the only difference is the CPU multiplier.

I don't mind having a ranking like this for fun, but not for points.

I like the examples you brought up Bruce.. but arent those 'variations' the same reason why an efficiency ranking could be so useful? For folks tuning for a bench, it can reveal quite a bit about their relative strengths/short-comings..

*Perfect example - try to input the recent top 32m submission from MOA 'A' class into the above table... it seems there would be a new leader on the efficiency table.. and with quite staggering results/settings by contrast.... .....

Guest Bullant

Also Rule you have shimizu CPU speed wrong,you have his CPU at 6600mhz his speed was 6660mhz,did you recalculated his effieincy at 6600 or 6660

Edited by Bullant

There are a few issues with this... for example, you define efficiency where the only relevant measure is the CPU speed, which is wrong. Efficiency must be measured for the system as a whole, if not there's more or less how well the other parts perform - fast ram vs slow ram, some mobos are more efficient than others etc. The other issue is that efficiency improves with a lower CPU multiplier, so someone running 6000Mhz WILL have better efficiency than those running 6600MHz if the only difference is the CPU multiplier.

I don't mind having a ranking like this for fun, but not for points.

I'm talking about global efficiency.

Basically run better ram and better mobo give you best efficiency.

Exemple if someone run the ram 1100 mhz vs 1300 mhz, the efficiency is already reflected in the frequency*time.

The problem is that cpu frequency and superpi time don't scale linearly. For each increase of frequency, your time improves less. As an effect, you will see the best efficiency at lower frequency. Similar in principle to the law of diminishing returns.

One solution would be to improve the efficiency formula to account for the diminishing returns.

I'll study the Diminishing returns later, interesting stuff.

Also Rule you have shimizu CPU speed wrong,you have his CPU at 6600mhz his speed was 6660mhz,did you recalculated his effieincy at 6600 or 6660

You're right mate, i'll fix that later. You are on top now and deserve it.

*Perfect example - try to input the recent top 32m submission from MOA 'A' class into the above table... it seems there would be a new leader on the efficiency table.. and with quite staggering results/settings by contrast.... .....

This Efficiency ranking for me have more sense apply at the qualifying contests, because at the final is more important have efficient overclockers instead of lucky overclockers. Imho there's the 32m in all the contests.