HWBOT Community Forums

Confused on scores

ThePromisedLAN

So how is an i7 getting treated score wise? Is it getting treated by its four physical cores or based on its eight threads? Seems like an i7 has a bit of an unfair advantage if it is getting treated like a quad core when it is using all eight threads, unless its only using those four cores and I'm just dumb and not noticing that xD Would be nice to figure out what is going on though.

Hyperthreading 'only' gives about a 40% improvement as a rule of thumb so basing it on physical cores is fairer than basing it on number of threads (which would totally destroy i7s and i3s). It is frustrating but at least it means you don't have to buy a 6950X to be competitive and there isn't really a better way of doing it.

Hyperthreading 'only' gives about a 40% improvement as a rule of thumb so basing it on physical cores is fairer than basing it on number of threads (which would totally destroy i7s and i3s). It is frustrating but at least it means you don't have to buy a 6950X to be competitive and there isn't really a better way of doing it.

Understandable, but it kinda defeats the whole purpose of dividing the score by cores to even the playing field if they still get an advantage. It seems to me that there is really no point in entering without having an i7. All the 6700k entries are at the top, and it doesnt look like there is any way to pass them, which is a shame considering my 4.9ghz 6600k cant even beat a 4.5ghz 6700k :/

a 6700k would be divided by 4 cores not 8 since only 4 are considered physical, 6800k and 6850k is 6, 6900k is 8, and last but not least in price we have the 6950X coming in at 10.

I understand that, I was just really confused when I started looking at scores and seeing the i7 6700k chips far above the rest.