HWBOT Community Forums

What CPU for 3D benching?

Guest Alex Bese

Guest Alex Bese

Hey guys!

So I want to build a GPU benching rig, and I'm really confused 'cause as I know, 3DMarks like fast intel cpus but mainly high-end gpus benefit from really good cpus. I saw a lot of great results with even 1st gen ryzens as well, like there was a guy with an i9 7980xe @5ghz with an rx570 in firestrike, and an other guy with a ryzen 5 1600 got better scores but also his gpu was clocked higher.
So my question is: What cpu should I choose for these types of benchmarks? (I can't really afford a 9900k/9700k 'cause I'm a student in college with not a lot of money.)
I've been thinking about 4770k, 4790k, 6700k, 7700k, 8600k/9600k (and maybe 8700k if the price is good) and also about Ryzen 7 1700. (maybe Ryzen 5 2600)
I'll mainly bench older gpus and cheaper ones (like the 1060/1650 would be the max) so I don't really know what should I choose, maybe I'd be good with a 6600k/7600k too? (Of course when I finished I'll be benching newer stuff too, but right now I'm sticking with the cheaper stuff)
Any suggestions? :) 

Guest Alex Bese
34 minutes ago, NATA 58 said:

if you can buy an i7 8700k it's a good compromise

Thanks!

Maybe waiting for the new ryzen cpus and see how they perform would be good too? Maybe the used intel cpu prices will go down too and stuff. :) 

Stick with Intel for 3D benching, Ryzen is pretty much useless for it except for maybe Fire Strike or Time Spy especially since it cannot run Win XP for legacy benches. Plus Ryzen lags behind by a lot if the bench only runs single-threaded GPU test's like Vantage.

A decent 8700K is a good choice without breaking the bank plus you can use it for some proper Win XP SPi 32M when you don't feel like doing 3D.

Guest Alex Bese
28 minutes ago, DR4G00N said:

Stick with Intel for 3D benching, Ryzen is pretty much useless for it except for maybe Fire Strike or Time Spy especially since it cannot run Win XP for legacy benches. Plus Ryzen lags behind by a lot if the bench only runs single-threaded GPU test's like Vantage.

A decent 8700K is a good choice without breaking the bank plus you can use it for some proper Win XP SPi 32M when you don't feel like doing 3D.

Okey, thanks!

8700K is pretty hard to get here actually for a good price. There is only one with a decent price that I'm interested in. It's delidded and also has a rockit copper ihs. The seller says he used it at 5GHz with 0 AVX offset at 1.35V... Could this be any good or nah? 

Also there is a local ad about a 8600k which does 5GHz at 1.24V.

Edited by Alex Bese

Guest Alex Bese
21 minutes ago, jabski said:

5Ghz at 1.35v is average for a 8700k.

The one that does 5Ghz 1.24v sounds more interesting

Yeah it was tested by Achill3us but it's "just" a 8600k. :C

Do you think it would be cool for older gpu benching too? 

Guest Alex Bese
31 minutes ago, jabski said:

The 8700k will help with cpu scores over a 8600k. Depends if your budget can stretch

Well the 8700k I mentioned is only 15€ more than that 8600k. 

Guest Alex Bese
15 minutes ago, AutisticChris said:

The 8700k sounds like a good option to me.

Yeah with this small of a price gap I think I'll go with the 8700k even if it's a mediocre one.