HWBOT Community Forums

My article about overclocking int/ext devices

max1024

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2019 at 10:43 AM, max1024 said:

Ha-ha, if you want know something about IBM Pentium IV clcick this my new story ;)

lrTL7I3zHpSdM30F.jpg

Translated via Google

One glaring omission from that article would be the CPU cooler support for the ASRock P4i945GC. Or...rather...the lack thereof. The way they offset the socket SEVERELY limits what kind/type of cooler you can use. Luckily I had an older style OEM/stock Intel aluminum HSF with a flat base that worked for mine(running an SL7Q8). What also sucks is no feasible way to run processors bare die on it(which I do with all my other s478 boards). I guess none of that really matters much when the board can't/won't OC for shit anyway. :(

But still...why TF did they do that? Sideways was bad enough. But then put the socket off to one side like that? So you can't use just any old s478 cooler? WHY?! I'm tempted to switch to the G31-M4 just for that reason alone. Which has Prescott microcodes in the latest BIOS(and specifically the F41 needed for the SL7QB/8). So they should run on it. Not sure why you think they won't. o.O On top of the fact it mentions EMT64 support in the manual. You obviously know all 64-bit s478 processors are Prescott...right? The fact that the specs page states "Maximum CPU TDP : 95 Watt" probably(nay...almost certainly) just means they didn't update that to reflect support for up to 103 Watt CPUs(like the SL7QB/8) with the later BIOS. And the 115 Watt models are likely supported too(microcode in the latest BIOS for those as well). Wait...what the hell am I talking about? That BIOS is supposed to be the "Initial" version. So it's always supported Prescott. If that's true...

Anyhow...now that I'm thinking about it...I'm almost certainly going to grab a G31-M4. Just to experiment with. Can't be any worse than the P4i945GC. Which is a total POS IMO...

EDIT: Hold up...just now reading the next article. Maybe there's hope for the P4i945GC still? I need to try that OC Tuner 1.54 and mess with the "1.5V"(didn't know what that was all about...feeling like a complete idiot ATM for not knowing). I'll tell you one more thing...or rather show you. BRB...

Ok...so the OVP mod is bunk. Doesn't do shit. HOWEVER...the OCP(OverCurrent Protection) mod is VITAL!!!

664163306_OCPmod.thumb.jpg.730422d21cd586f189a8a2ce5a80c0cc.jpg

I haven't done the VDROOP mod yet. Which might help a little.

Next...VTT is the termination voltage for the RAM. You need to up it if you overvolt the RAM and it's not stable. Since you asked.

Oh...and G1 RULES!!! No idea what you're on about there. Just know it's BULLSHIT!!! You're just pissed you can't find one...:P

Edited by MrGenius
  • Thanks 1

MrGenius Ths for your thoughts ? 

Some people have already tried to make friends with SL7QB and G31-M4 board, but each time on the screen saw this message: "The Max Power of CPU is over 95W. Prepare to shut down………". I don’t have board  yet and I can’t check, but I think it's possible to get around this protection. If you are able to find it before me, write here what you did.

• Like 1

WHAT?! That's false advertising then.

1602869875_EMT64Support.PNG.1b511c1e772edc14734dfd239838f471.PNG

I'll sue their ass!!! 

Not really...but I might try contacting them to tell them they need to fix it. Because...I'm not sure I could mod the BIOS(not my strong suit). And I can almost guarantee it's not a hardware limitation. Well...it might be. But I can fix that...;). Pretty sure it wouldn't need fixing though. It's 3 phase(like just about every other P4 board). And unless they used the absolute weakest MOSFETs on Earth...it'll handle 103W-115W just fine. Even if they did...like I said...I FIX EASY! ?‍?

Edited by MrGenius

• 1 year later...
On 9/10/2019 at 12:04 AM, max1024 said:

Some people have already tried to make friends with SL7QB and G31-M4 board, but each time on the screen saw this message: "The Max Power of CPU is over 95W. Prepare to shut down………"

There is a patched BIOS for this motherboard on bios-mods.com with TDP error messages removed.
Look for it in this topic.

Remember to make a good cooling for VRM !!! Otherwise it will burn if used with a CPU that has a TDP higher than 95W !

• Thanks 2

Thx, At the time of publication, I naturally did not see this bios, but I continue to be interested in this topic. I still have one question whether it is possible to make 8GB of memory work on this board. Judging by the lines, they are connected, but everything rests against the BIOS, is it possible to fix this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello clockers ;) I just love overclocking, I write various articles, but I had the idea for a long time to write about the most famous and interesting characters that have left a significant mark in the history of overclocking and brought something new to it. I had to spend a lot of time collecting all the various information together and that's what happened.

Overclocking Legend Ian "8Pack" Parry - The Beginning.
https://overclockers.ru/lab/show/110562/retrokloking-legenda-overklokinga-ian-8pack-parry-nachalo

You can translate the article using google translate.

8pack.jpg

Edited by max1024
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...