HWBOT Community Forums

am386dx-40 - some history was made

WoOx3r[Pt]

haha nice bro :D

now wprime 1024m please :D

it will take way past 2 months to achieve that, i will do it, but not for now, i want to get a ups first because this place has huge voltage fluctuations, current spikes and power failures and i'm not feeling like waiting 2 months and then... oh the power just went off. xD

Edited by WoOx3r[Pt]

I guess there's no way chkcpu etc can read actual CPU frequency?

there is a DOS program called maxspeed that can read actual cpu frequency on these old machines and will refresh the readings from time to time just like cpu-z does on actual machines, but there's no need to printscreen it on this particular matter as the frequency you see on testcpu it's absolutely correct and the frequency you see on cpuchk is wrong (like the program maxspeed proved when i ran it). i tried to run chkcpu by the command line changing some parameters that make the program run in a certain way, like the /i /r /b to see if the thing could read the actual cpu speed, i got different numbers of cpu speed on chkcpu when applying this parameters but none of it was right.

but you reminded me of one thing i forgot to mention, the thing is really overclocked from 40mhz to 50mhz and i will not change it as it's running way faster than before and as i can see here it's pretty stable. the 16k superpi run took me around 45min. to run when it was on 40mhz and at 50mhz it knocked down almost 10 minutes to that time.

and sorry but i found a wrong information on my submission, the memories were 8mb (8x1mb) not 16mb

It is good to see a 386 alive and kicking!

I can highly recommend a program called "syschk": I have an old copy of it on floppy disk that I have been using from time to time.

I did a google search and to my surprise there actually was a homepage for that application: http://www.syschk.com/

It provides plenty of other system information too and seems to behave well running under windows.

I can highly recommend a program called "syschk": I have an old copy of it on floppy disk that I have been using from time to time.

I did a google search and to my surprise there actually was a homepage for that application: http://www.syschk.com/

It provides plenty of other system information too and seems to behave well running under windows.

Stange: I only posted my reply one time, but yet it ended up being posted twice.

Something must be wonky with the hwbot server.

Edited by DrSwizz

Stange: I only posted my reply one time, but yet it ended up being posted twice.

Something must be wonky with the hwbot server.

i will try it but i have the slightest impression that i've ran that program from a floppy in DOS mode a few time ago to find out the manufacturer of a mainboard but i may be wrong.

i have another soldered am386dx-40 exactly like this one but i cant find any kind of jumper configuration for the mainboard that has it. one of those programs that identify bios strings say its a Seritech Enterprises mainboard, i've googled it and found only 4 bios strings from mainboards of this manufacturer, 3 of the bios strings were connected to a mainboard and the other bios string (equal to mine) was from an unknown mainboard, now that's bad luck. the mainboard i'm talking about seems almost like a new out-of-the-box mainboard and has the capability of supporting a 387 math coprocessor installed together with the 386 chip but without jumper configurations i can't swap cache chips for some better ones and i can't overclock the cpu :( . i have a i386dx-33 chip too but i don't have a mainboard for it :( .

;63773']i will try it but i have the slightest impression that i've ran that program from a floppy in DOS mode a few time ago to find out the manufacturer of a mainboard but i may be wrong.

i have another soldered am386dx-40 exactly like this one but i cant find any kind of jumper configuration for the mainboard that has it. one of those programs that identify bios strings say its a Seritech Enterprises mainboard' date=' i've googled it and found only 4 bios strings from mainboards of this manufacturer, 3 of the bios strings were connected to a mainboard and the other bios string (equal to mine) was from an unknown mainboard, now that's bad luck. the mainboard i'm talking about seems almost like a new out-of-the-box mainboard and has the capability of supporting a 387 math coprocessor installed together with the 386 chip but without jumper configurations i can't swap cache chips for some better ones and i can't overclock the cpu :( . i have a i386dx-33 chip too but i don't have a mainboard for it :( .[/quote']

Too bad you are having trouble finding relevant documentation.

I where you I would look at the jumper settings for the other boards from the same manufacturer and look for similarly placed jumpers on your board. You might be able to figure out & guess enough settings to get the board running. :-)

;63774']started pifast now' date=' i'm feeling that in a few days (lol) this thread will receive an update ;)[/quote']

Good luck!

OMG almost 3 days for 1M.

Thats truely hardcore. How did people USE these old computers? DAMN

i had a computer that i used for 5 years until yesterday (because a crappy PSU fried it) to browse, do regular work, see videos on youtube, listen to music, etc... it was a k6-2+ 570mhz that i asked hwbot to put on the cpu list 2 years ago and i was away from hwbot for many time so i didn't posted scores with it, i was going to do it but it got fried by the psu so i couldn't, i got really sad because i really liked it, but the thing is, if a k6-2+ is enough to me for all things i do except for gaming (i have a phenom x4 for that), nowadays, many people don't need more than a k6, and if things were so carefully coded as they were back in the old days and if some 'bloatware' got removed from the programs and OS's i dare to say that a pentium mmx would suffice the most regular needs with ease.

i saw videos on youtube of people that browse some sites even nowadays with 386's, computers are being pretty strangled because of bad software (OS's included) nowadays.