HWBOT Community Forums

Phenom II x2 550, C3 vs C2 in the rankings

I have noticed a "problem" in the way HWBot separates the 2 diferent models of 550s, for those who don't know, the "old" C2 revision 550s were Black Editions, they hardly pass 4GHz stable (for benching) under air cooling and they need a lot o voltage (easly over 1,5-1,55v) to acomplish that. On the other way, the "new" C3 550s (wich aren't black edition) need little voltage to reach 4GHz (arround 1,45v or even less) even on stock cooling.

This differences makes a problem the time we try to score, for example, in WPrime, where an old C2 550 has a hard time trying to be stable at 4GHz and a C3 550 easly run the bench with stock cooling at the same clock, there's no need to say that with good cooling and more agresive voltage tweaking a C3 is a lot better than a C2 in terms of max estable frecuency, sorry if I can't make a proper example with that, .

Here you can see the diferences:

C2: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom%20II%20X2%20550%20-%20HDZ550WFK2DGI%20%28HDZ550WFGIBOX%29.html

C3: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom%20II%20X2%20550%20-%20HDX550WFK2DGM%20%28HDX550WFGMBOX%29.html

They are the only two 550s currently in existence.

The good thing is that HWBot has the two categories, for C2s there is "Phenom II x2 550 BE" and for C3 is "Phenom II x2 550" so I think that to be fair with the people who bench with old C2 revisions, we need to move all the remaining C3 resulst from "550 BE" to "550".

Thanks in advance, and sorry if I have some grammar errors, english is not my main language.

• 2 weeks later...

just out of curiosity........

c3 is locked.

c2 isn't.

c3 is handicapped then imho........since it requires a little more work to get a score then just upping a multi...................

Also 955 class is not seperated by c2 and c3 and c3 obviously spanks my c2 results even though mine were some of the best c2 955 scores........

I'm not crying over it, instead i just got a C3.........

Oh an btw the box part # is diff on 955 c2 versus c3.

Edited by chew*

Be careful. This opens up a slippery slope. If you change that 550 category, does that mean you'll be changing the other categories that have Black Editions lumped in with all the other submissions? Eg: 5400+BE

Or are you willing to separate all the categories by stepping/revision?

Edited by Mr.Scott

550 and 550 BE are different chips. 955 c3 and c2 are just steppings.

There are 720 and 720BE categories, stupid not to do the same for the 550 :)

whats diff a multiplier missing?

the reason people are bitching is becasue of the stepping difference and nothing else.......

No one is saying OMFG 550 has no multiplier adjustment its not fair to us..........

Edited by chew*

Be careful. This opens up a slippery slope. If you change that 550 category, does that mean you'll be changing the other categories that have Black Editions lumped in with all the other submissions? Eg: 5400+BE

Or are you willing to separate all the categories by stepping/revision?

Actually, there should be a 5400+ BE category too, yes :P