HWBOT Community Forums

Thinking about trying LN2 on GPU.

buildzoid

So I've gotten myself 3 Fury Xs and a regular Fury. Since Extreme Addict said he didn't get any cold bugs I figured I would try at least 1 of my cards on LN2.

Now because I'm kinda short on money(I just spent it all on Fury Xs) I was wondering how much difference there is between a slim pot and fat pot if I'm just trying to run the card as cold as possible.

From what I know a slim pot would be better for keeping the card really cold and a fat pot is better for keep the temperature steady.

So I've gotten myself 3 Fury Xs and a regular Fury. Since Extreme Addict said he didn't get any cold bugs I figured I would try at least 1 of my cards on LN2.

Now because I'm kinda short on money(I just spent it all on Fury Xs) I was wondering how much difference there is between a slim pot and fat pot if I'm just trying to run the card as cold as possible.

From what I know a slim pot would be better for keeping the card really cold and a fat pot is better for keep the temperature steady.

I don't bench 3D much, but here's my experience with the pots:

Slim pot are okay-ish when you wanted to do low-TDP GPUs like GTX 750/Ti/GTX 960. Slim pot usually use much less ln2 when pulling down the temps, you also get good temp response with these 'small' GPUs.

But if you use slim pots for heavy gpu (980Ti/ 290X), it will be hard to control during load, and temps will jump all over the place, even if you 'torched/glazed' the pot.

Fat pot is the way to go if you wanted to do heavy GPU, it uses lots of ln2 when pulling down, but the fine control it provides during full load will be worth it ;)

Also it might be better to 'invest', buy good pot from the start, it will last quite a while.

Hope it helps,

Yeah I get the difference between a fat pot and slim pot when it comes to keeping the temps under control but what if my target temp is -196C. Then it doesn't matter right?

Also there's a good chance that I might go up to 3/4 way LN2. That is if keeping 1 card happy isn't too difficult.

Edited by buildzoid

Yeah I get the difference between a fat pot and slim pot when it comes to keeping the temps under control but what if my target temp is -196C. Then it doesn't matter right?

Also there's a good chance that I might go up to 3/4 way LN2. That is if keeping 1 card happy isn't too difficult.

Temps on fat pot shouldn't swing as much, fat pot should stay colder for the length of the benchmark