HWBOT Community Forums

[MSI Z170 OC BIOS for non-K CPU]

Thanks for this, just picked up an i7-6700 and was hoping to up the juice on it a little. Are these BIOSes still being worked on, or were they a one-off gift to OCers? Specifically, I'm interested in C-states. Is there a hardware/technical limitation to them being disabled, or is there hope for them in the future?

Thanks for this, just picked up an i7-6700 and was hoping to up the juice on it a little. Are these BIOSes still being worked on, or were they a one-off gift to OCers?

Like many of you probably would have guessed and find unneeded to mention, a little disclaimer on this matter:

*Overclocking Intel non-K CPUs is not officially supported by Intel and the BIOS versions created by MSI unlocking this option are all beta versions. Intel may choose to disable this option at any time. At no point MSI can be taken responsible for disabling overclocking for non-K CPUs.

No official support from either Intel or MSI and no further development from our side so far.

Specifically, I'm interested in C-states. Is there a hardware/technical limitation to them being disabled, or is there hope for them in the future?

Absence of power management is indeed one of the technical limitations that all Non-K BIOSes share, regardless of vendor.

It will (most likely) never be fixed, sorry.

Edited by pepinorang

Your BIOS Settings, can send a photo I look at it

Wait few days, I'll post a quick guide for Non-K OC. :)

Automatically restart several hundred times, and finally able to enter a WIN10

But after shutdown and then boot, and unlimited restart

@pepinorang

"Unlimited restart" (00-19-FF-Reboot in loop) happen on motherboards without external clockgen (Only Z170A GAMING M5/M7/M9/XPOWER include external clockgen) whenever OC fails/crash.

You have to clear CMOS and turn OFF your PSU until motherboard is discharged to get it back to normal.

Sometimes this issue is still present afterwards when you try to overclock BCLK, which in my case was the Intel ME firmware corrupted and re-flash BIOS via M-Flash fixed it.

Edited by pepinorang

BBS in China, I asked several have Z170 KRAIT, they all said that his B5T upgrade, but no one can overclocking BCLK, I think is the problem that the BIOS, you can test overclocking BCLK, is it because your CPU is ES version, like some ES version is unlock BCLK

BBS in China, I asked several have Z170 KRAIT, they all said that his B5T upgrade, but no one can overclocking BCLK, I think is the problem that the BIOS, you can test overclocking BCLK, is it because your CPU is ES version, like some ES version is unlock BCLK

My ES are same stepping than retail so no difference.

Furthermore these CPU don't have BCLK unlocked with normal BIOS...

However I will try to find a retail i3 to show you it works perfect here. ;)

My ES are same stepping than retail so no difference.

Furthermore these CPU don't have BCLK unlocked with normal BIOS...

However I will try to find a retail i3 to show you it works perfect here. ;)

If B5T is no problem, why in China, no one can overclocking success

I don't know what is your problem, I tried two Z170 KRAIT GAMING and I didn't see any issue.

You can clearly see IT WORKS on my screenshots but I'll find a retail chip to convince you!

MSI engineers have confirmed to me, is can overclocking B5T

Don't know where I wrong

I don't know what is your problem, I tried two Z170 KRAIT GAMING and I didn't see any issue.

You can clearly see IT WORKS on my screenshots but I'll find a retail chip to convince you!

May I have a question the BIOS chip

Sometimes the display is not normal

Hi I'm having issue, I would boot into BIOS and increase the BCLK above 100, Vcore to 1.325V, DDR4 between 2300-2600 MHz, and Voltage calibration to Mode 1. Followed this guide exactly: http://overclocking.guide/msi-z170-non-k-overclocking-guide/

When rebooting PC with OC settings, leads to the computer getting stuck in boot loop (can take up to 3 minutes) and after many retries boots into Windows with correct OC settings.

When reverted to BCLK 100 MHz system boots up fine first try.

Z170A Krait Gaming

i5 6600

16GB DDR4

Hi I'm having issue, I would boot into BIOS and increase the BCLK above 100, Vcore to 1.325V, DDR4 between 2300-2600 MHz, and Voltage calibration to Mode 1. Followed this guide exactly: http://overclocking.guide/msi-z170-non-k-overclocking-guide/

When rebooting PC with OC settings, leads to the computer getting stuck in boot loop (can take up to 3 minutes) and after many retries boots into Windows with correct OC settings.

Z170A Krait Gaming

i5 6600

16GB DDR4

I have the same issue but I chose to ignore it as it boots up fine with the overclocked settings and has been prime95 tested for over 12 hours.

BIOS non-K and MSI official BIOS, there will be the case

You need to check this with our tech suport: https://register.msi.com/

Either you have compatibility issue or defective VGA, best is to check with them, they will help you out.

BTW, I found retail i3 6320, but Z170 KRAIT GAMING sample is not available at the moment, I have to wait my turn. ;)

I have the same issue but I chose to ignore it as it boots up fine with the overclocked settings and has been prime95 tested for over 12 hours.

I tested this one, again without issue... See screenshots I posted.

What's the post codes ?

Anyway, I'm going to re-test all 17 supported boards with retail i3 6320, but I'm convinced I'm just wasting my time...

Edited by pepinorang

Z170A Krait Gaming

i5 6600

16GB DDR4

me too