HWBOT Community Forums

980X or 990X....

Phill

I have two X5650's here in my SR2 but I was wondering about putting some hex cores in my 759 and 762 boards, the 920's are pretty good but I wouldn't say no to some hex cores in them too :D I didn't want to mod them as I have read that I could mod the boards to take the X5650's but I'd rather not..

I suppose a cheap upgrade if I did use them from the SR2 but then I'd have to replace the ones in the SR2 and that might get costy lol

I'm not sure, only from what I have read, something about a pin or something, I can't honestly remember :( But I have my new X99 rig sat next to me, so I'm wondering if it's even worth buying another 1366 CPU or two...

Are you sure that the EVGA boards have to be modded for Xeons? None of my Giga or Asus boards needed to be.

I'm unsure about E759, E762 and E770, but E760 and the black X58-SLI definitely need the mod. We had quite the drama in PCGHX when someone recommended a Xeon to someone with Evga SLI and it didn't work... the E760 I tested myself.

Afaik some of the later PCB-revision run Westmere EP without mods as well. Asus and Gigabyte are the safest bet, never heard of problems with those.

There's a 980X on Ebay at the moment, but I'm unsure if its worth going for or not?

Also, does the batch help with how well it will clock or not? I don't want to buy something that's pants cos it's just a waste of time to me...