HWBOT Community Forums

IR3567B E-power mod

buildzoid

So because raising Vcore on the Fury X causes massive drops in performance I'm investigate ways to get the card to behave. I think the FPS drop is caused by power tune. The easiest solution to that is that I mod the power sensing circuits of the IR3567B so that it sees the card using less power. However this also means that I'll be running the risk of blowing up the high side FETs.

So I'm considering trying an E-power mod on the card. Now my concern with this is that apparently the R9 290X which also used the IR3567B was a nightmare to get working with an E-power. On the Fury X the IR3567B controls the HBM and core vlotages. Since both the HBM and core happily run on 1.35-1.4V I can just use 1 E-power to feed both of them. So that isn't a problem. The thing I'm worried about is which pins do I need to trick on the IR3567B. Do I just pull the following pins to 3.3V?:

VRDY2

PWRGD/VRDY1

PWR_OK

Or are there others that I also need to trick? Is there any other things I should be aware of that could be an issue?

Here's the public datasheet for the IR3567B: http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/pb-ir3567b.pdf

BTW: I've tried BIOS mods and hard mods for the voltages nothing prevents the drop in FPS so this is the only thing I can think of that could work other than the power sensing mods.

Or are there others that I also need to trick? Is there any other things I should be aware of that could be an issue?

Here's the public datasheet for the IR3567B: http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/pb-ir3567b.pdf

BTW: I've tried BIOS mods and hard mods for the voltages nothing prevents the drop in FPS so this is the only thing I can think of that could work other than the power sensing mods.

From what I've been reading about Fury / Fury X, those card have complicated clock/power/voltage regulation mechanism. In which some controller dynamically adjust/sense/monitor its power/voltage output.

Maybe this said algorithm can make Epowering the card difficult? unless the 'control' mechanism on the card can be bypassed of course..

I've seen some awesome overclocking with Fury series in your blog btw, please tell us more if this experiment is a success :)

From what I've been reading about Fury / Fury X, those card have complicated clock/power/voltage regulation mechanism. In which some controller dynamically adjust/sense/monitor its power/voltage output.

Maybe this said algorithm can make Epowering the card difficult? unless the 'control' mechanism on the card can be bypassed of course..

I've seen some awesome overclocking with Fury series in your blog btw, please tell us more if this experiment is a success :)

I'm soooo close to top 10 3Dmark FS and FSE 3-way. The biggest problem that I have is since all the cards have raised voltage on core I need to bench at -70mv on the first card. -120mv on the second and -90mv on the third(real volts range from 1.25 to 1.3V). If I give them any more voltage the FPS falls of a cliff. But obviously with so low voltages I can't run above 1150mhz core even though I know for a fact that the cards can do 1200+ if I give them the volts.

I'm going to need to acquire an E-power somehow because the one I had is still on my old GTX 590 back in the CZ and by the looks of it EVGA isn't selling them any longer.