HWBOT Community Forums

Gigabyte Radeon Rx 480 8Gb overclocking

Beny101

• 1 year later...

I overclocked a few RX 480s and can tell you a few things to keep in mind. The powerdraw noted by the driver is just the GPU and excludes VRM efficiency aswell. So you propably want to add about 20% to it on top, depending on your config. Mine draw 250W and more if Id let them so be prepared.
To reach valuable clocks you will need a custom bios, der8auer has one that lifts the powerlimit up to 220W (driver value), thats double the stock amount and brings you quite far.
Most cards make 9000 (actually 2250) Mhz without increasing Mem voltage so dont that that at all.
GPU clocks spread far, I had cards that didnt go over 1380 and have some that hit over 1500 while below 1.4V.

On thermals I stick to HWInfo, Ive been fine with that, though it also reads driver values so take it with a grain of salt. Make sure, your GPU does not exeed 90°C at any time and your VRM shouldnt exeed 105°C at any time. These are critical values, stay off them as much as possible. I watercooled the RX 480s and got a 55° GPU and a 90° VRM at 1.375V.

Keep in mind, that the RX480s draw a ton of power from the PCIe Connector so make sure your board is capable of extreme overclocking and stick a thermal probe to the PCB where the power rails go, they might get toasty. And as always, make sure that you have a kill switch, in case it gets over the limits. Hard power off works just fine.
Your 650W psu might also be a bit to small if you overclock the 7700K and an RX 480, so keep an eye on the power draw of your components. Also cool the Mobo VRM, they can get really toasty and supply every EPS connector available is also a good idea, though not neccessary.

Take your time and have fun

Good luck