HWBOT Community Forums

Is it worth volt modding my 1080Ti?

N3utro

Hey guys,

I own a MSI Sea Hawk EK X 1080 Ti watercooled with a 1260 phobya radiator.

The vbios is limitating the card to 1.093v.

I've tried switching to a XOC bios but with it my 3DMark score is lower even at higher frequencies.

The max i can reach right now is 2100 Mhz @ 1.093v @ 30°C full load

I'm wondering if I could expect better results by voltmodding my card or switching to one with an unlocked voltage like a kingpin.

Thanks for your help :)

Edited by N3utro

It wasn't that expensive actually. I bought it used for a very fair price ;)

When i flashed to XOC bios with 1.2v i was only able to win 50 Mhz as i was power limited. So i guess i'll have to do a vmod + power mod at the same time.

The problem is that i can't find a proper video when someone show how to do this.

There are some videos about putting liquid metal to shut a resistor for power mod but that is not a very clean way to do it imo.

It's explained here:

https://xdevs.com/guide/pascal_m_oc/

but there are no detailled explainations on how to properly remove the existing resistors and how to properly solder as well.

Anyone here did this and could give me further details please?

TIA

I used it and i think it was working because on AFB the power slider was disabled but on GPUZ in the sensors tab under "perfcap" it was always showing "PWR".

So maybe even with the maximum allowed power by the XOC bios it was still not enough, i don't know.

This generation doesn't scale well at ambient temps. All of the modding in the world wont gain you much if you are still running ambient temps. If the goal is to bench the card, I would work on obtaining some variant of sub-ambient cooling first, then go for all the hard mods. 

Good luck, cheers!