HWBOT Community Forums

I.nfraR.ed - Radeon HD 3850 AGP @ 999/1161MHz - 28118 marks 3DMark2001 SE

TerraRaptor

Thanks. It seems HD3850 isn't very suitable for socket A. It's either a driver issue or it's a severe bottleneck by the platform.

VGA overclock doesn't do much, mostly noticeable in Nature and that's what saves the day compared to e.g. a lower-tier nvidia card.

CPU overclock doesn't help much either, I have similar scores on air-cooled CPU. I don't know why the "low" tests are so bad, especially car.

FSB clock is the way to go and although this board can run 1M at close to 270MHz, it's really unstable above 250MHz with 3850. I also had to use the integrated SATA, since the VGA blocks both IDE ports and can't install the IDE-SATA adaptor.

I guess one of my issues might be the modern PSU I'm using, had huge issues with CPU overclock. It is tested for 2.9 on ambient (3050 1M on chiller), but I couldn't even POST at 2.9. Had to clock it in windows. Also higher voltage was making it worse.

I may try with 7800GS+, it will probably do better in other tests, not sure how it would compete in Nature.

Ah, one more note - latest gpuz from the official site BSODs with gpuz-v2.sys or something like that.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed

Nice score!

Did you try different sips or sip values in your tweaker? Maybe this could help to get a (slightly) better stability. Something like lowering register 68h to 22 or value 77 for 6F (also x7 for 6Ah and 69h)?

17 minutes ago, I.nfraR.ed said:

Ah, one more note - latest gpuz from the official site BSODs with gpuz-v2.sys or something like that.

driver issue? I used gpuz 2.40 without any problems for my result (7600GT).

3 hours ago, digitalbath said:

Did you try different sips or sip values in your tweaker? Maybe this could help to get a (slightly) better stability.

I tried several ones from your server - quite same bus limit of 250-255 for cpu confirmed to run 275 bus 1m aircooled. And the higher the bus the more likely usb will drop (os still works). I tried agp 4x, disabling FW and SBA - no go. AGP clock doesn't matter too. Seems like excessive bus load by 3850, probably need to try agp drive strength in powerstrip as Antinomy suggests. 

Yes, tried different bioses and different values in the tweaker. I may install your modbios with the predefined romsip tables to check, but so far nothing helps.I can boot 260, but no stability, 255 is on the edge and usually experience a sudden force close while running a test (mostly on the "high" ones). 253 was ok. AGP bus up to 105MHz and voltage up to 1.8V didn't make a difference.

Kind of want to try a KT880 board to see if it will be the same. I have a Delta-FSR somewhere in the closet.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed

2 hours ago, TerraRaptor said:

I tried several ones from your server - quite same bus limit of 250-255 for cpu confirmed to run 275 bus 1m aircooled. And the higher the bus the more likely usb will drop (os still works). I tried agp 4x, disabling FW and SBA - no go. AGP clock doesn't matter too. Seems like excessive bus load by 3850, probably need to try agp drive strength in powerstrip as Antinomy suggests. 

Thanks for the information and testing. The more we test, the more we will get experience in handling with the sips. I am only able to test my sip presets on five boards (2xA7N8X-E, K7NF2-RAID, NF7 and MSI Delta2). So every test will help us. As far as I see, the sips helps more on NF2 boards with limited voltage or chipsets that don't scale with voltage. Differend boards could also scale on different sips. The sips don't helped me to handle USB problems though. I get them already at ~263 / 264MHz. 

agp drive strength sounds interesting to me.

3 hours ago, I.nfraR.ed said:

Yes, tried different bioses and different values in the tweaker. I may install your modbios with the predefined romsip tables to check, but so far nothing helps.I can boot 260, but no stability, 255 is on the edge and usually experience a sudden force close while running a test (mostly on the "high" ones). 253 was ok. AGP bus up to 105MHz and voltage up to 1.8V didn't make a difference.

I mostly use this presets:

custom#3 :  65h:44 66h:22 68h:22 69h:22 6Ah:44 6Bh:00 6Ch:44 6Dh:44 6Fh:22
custom#6 :  65h:66 66h:F7 68h:33 69h:66 6Ah:67 6Bh:00 6Ch:66 6Dh:66 6Fh:77   7Ch:44 48h:69 50h:B2

If I remember correctly, I used custom#3 for my run. Other presets didn`t work for me.

• Like 1