HWBOT Community Forums

GIGABYTE Z690 Tachyon

After much effort, I was able to be stable on Y-cruncher VST during 1 hour. But as I expected, after a reboot, VST is no longer stable, crashes after a few seconds. I finally understood the cause of this erratic behaviour : the memory training algorithm.

To obtain the stability on VST during 1 h, I changed the memory timings in Windows with the tool Mem Tweak it, without rebooting. After finishing this optimization with success, I rebooted, changed the timings in the bios that I found stable and as expected, VST crashed after a few seconds in Windows. No memory timing, no voltages were on auto in the bios except RTLs which cannot be adjusted directly.

The explanation is the following : on the reboot, after the timings modification, the memory training does not manage to find the good values for the hidden memory parameters. I rebooted 27 times, hoping that at each reboot, the memory training would find the good values for the hidden parameters but no success after 27 reboots : in most of the cases, VST crashed after a few seconds, the best training was VST without errors during 14 minutes (13th reboot).

I cleared CMOS and it wasn't better.

According to my experience, there are 2 solutions :

- unhide all the hidden memory parameters in the bios to enable the user to enter values. And provide a Windows tool to see all the memory values without entering in the bios : with such a tool, when I was stable on VST during 1 h, I could have written all the memory values, entered them on the next reboot and disabled the memory training. I would have been stable.

- in the saved bios profile, save the hidden parameters too. Only the visible ones are saved in the profiles.

The Tachyon is a great motherboard in terms of hardware, but unfortunately is plagued by a bad memory training algorithm which prevents it from being used daily with very high memory frequency, in a stable manner.

Edited by passionne56

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2023 at 11:20 PM, passionne56 said:

According to my experience, there are 2 solutions :

+ test(1'st on stab frequency) DRAM_VDD - DRAM_VDDQ =0.2(best case scenario=good memory chips) to 0.1(normal) to ...

if the reduction is excessive(or not?) or low DRAM_VDD, the RTL increases(+1)

Spoiler

2х16GB(M-die)+ BIOS z790 on z690 & 1.52v/1.26v(1.25v didn' t start)image.thumb.png.a9a08bdc4c44960cc65a91db1d189336.png

or 2х32GB(A-Die)bypakhtunov    or from video by Buildzoid  

7000-30-tm5-heavy.png

Edited by BOBKOC

13 hours ago, BOBKOC said:

+ test(1'st on stab frequency) DRAM_VDD - DRAM_VDDQ =0.2(best case scenario=good memory chips) to 0.1(normal) to ...

if the reduction is excessive(or not?), the RTL increases(+1)

Reveal hidden contents

2х16GB(M-die)image.png.24c48a9a440ba4465dd73d469597c03b.png

or 2х32GB(A-Die)bypakhtunov    or from video by Buildzoid  

2.png

I lowered Vddq from 1.4 V to 1.37 V and VDD from 1.5 V to 1.49 V : y-cruncher N32 worked without any errors during 28 minutes then 1 error. I rebooted 3 times with the same parameters, memory training enabled and each time, N32 crashed in a few seconds (2 s - 15 s - 48 s) which confirms my problem : at 7800, my stability is random. 

Edited by passionne56

On 4/17/2023 at 11:59 AM, passionne56 said:

I lowered ..

&t_cores<=90С ?

& after PowerDown(without electricity supply +-1min) ?
&tRAS = tRCD + tCWL + tWR ?
https://www.overclock.net/threads/official-intel-ddr5-oc-and-24-7-daily-memory-stability-thread.1794772/post-29183838

&  DRAM_VDD(+) =1.525v &  DRAM_VDDQ(-)=1.35 V ?

Edited by BOBKOC

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/17/2023 at 7:14 PM, BOBKOC said:

&t_cores<=90С ?

& after PowerDown(without electricity supply +-1min) ?
&tRAS = tRCD + tCWL + tWR ?
https://www.overclock.net/threads/official-intel-ddr5-oc-and-24-7-daily-memory-stability-thread.1794772/post-29183838

&  DRAM_VDD(+) =1.525v &  DRAM_VDDQ(-)=1.35 V ?

Sorry for the late reply : all the cores are far below 90°C : max temperature on Y-cruncher N32 or VST is 70°C (13900K delidded + direct-die watercooling). Furthermore, the RAM modules are watercooled too.

tRAS = tRCD + tCWL + tWR : I tried this formula a few days ago but no improvement.

DRAM_VDD(+) =1.525v &  DRAM_VDDQ(-)=1.35 V : N32 crashed after 24 min. I had DRAM VDD = 1.51 V and DRAM VDDQ=1.37 V before and I crashed after 26 min. So similar result.

On 5/3/2023 at 12:48 PM, passionne56 said:

I tried this formula a few days ago but no improvement

+

"Reading from the GDDR5 memory module occurs in blocks. The minimum block is now 64 bytes, which is due to the size of the cache line of the processor. This block can be read both from one bank and from different ones.
1. tRAS=tRCD+tRP (when reading 16 bytes from one bank)
2.! tRAS=tRCD+tRP+8 (when reading 32 bytes from one bank)
3.! tRAS=tRCD+tRP+24 (when reading 64 bytes from one bank)
4. tRAS=tRCD+tRP+56 (when reading 128 bytes from one bank)
For DDR5, the optimal choice is the 2nd or 3rd option." my optimum ->3.

Edited by BOBKOC

4 hours ago, BOBKOC said:

+

"Reading from the GDDR5 memory module occurs in blocks. The minimum block is now 64 bytes, which is due to the size of the cache line of the processor. This block can be read both from one bank and from different ones.
1. tRAS=tRCD+tRP (when reading 16 bytes from one bank)
2.! tRAS=tRCD+tRP+8 (when reading 32 bytes from one bank)
3.! tRAS=tRCD+tRP+24 (when reading 64 bytes from one bank)
4. tRAS=tRCD+tRP+56 (when reading 128 bytes from one bank)
For DDR5, the optimal choice is the 2nd or 3rd option." my optimum ->3.

Tested 2nd and third options : N32 stability was worse. Up to now, I found that tRAS= 32 gives me the best result : N32 crashes after 36 min.

• 1 month later...
On 1/31/2023 at 8:12 PM, sergmann said:

try one of old X3 bios versions. I prefer X3c or X3k

new Z690 Tachyon owner! , and I would like to OC my 12100F and 12400F. I found bios X3C on the forum, is this the go to XOC bios for non K oc? or are there other ones/newer/ better mem compatibility? i saw X4 and X6 on submissions.

I am now on the newest bios F24 with 13600KF. It runs 7600C32-44 ycruncher pretty happy about it. 8200C34 boots up. 

EDIT

i found the bioses here , still not sure which one to get for my CPU's?

Edited by kaliz

• 2 months later...
On 6/28/2023 at 5:56 PM, kaliz said:

new Z690 Tachyon owner! , and I would like to OC my 12100F and 12400F. I found bios X3C on the forum, is this the go to XOC bios for non K oc? or are there other ones/newer/ better mem compatibility? i saw X4 and X6 on submissions.

I am now on the newest bios F24 with 13600KF. It runs 7600C32-44 ycruncher pretty happy about it. 8200C34 boots up. 

EDIT

i found the bioses here , still not sure which one to get for my CPU's?

I would go with the latest x6 bios. Better Mem-OC and all microcodes for 12th Gen CPU’s are included 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, sergmann said:

Have you checked first post? They are all x6 bios versions available 

hey! yes ofcourse, tried multiple times, also asked a mate to try to download the google drive file...and it would not start downloading.

but now at this moment tried again and it magically works!? Must have been a server issue. Thanks again!

Edited by kaliz

26 minutes ago, kaliz said:

hey! yes ofcourse, tried multiple times, also asked a mate to try to download the google drive file...and it would not start downloading.

but now at this moment tried again and it magically works!? Must have been a server issue. Thanks again!

Perfect, you are welcome!

• Thanks 1

Hello, any chance to get x6o bios'?

to get my G7400 really on the move? Tried all other x6 but cant seem to get passed 140 bclk, with both G7400 and 12400F. As a complete noob, I tried to select different microcodes, which ended in completely reseting bios to F1, after that, i could reload x6u. Then it happened again and bricking the bios (not completely sure as i didnt investigate further, it hangs on some error code,,, but i think only option will be Q-flash from USB hopefully...)

Just saw Tantekaethe use this X6O bios on G7400 GPUPI 1b with around 160 bclk and 8000C32 for 3rd place. I have a proper chip, thinking with a good board and lots of tweaking maybe it can get top 5. 

Thank you.

25 minutes ago, kaliz said:

to get my G7400 really on the move? Tried all other x6 but cant seem to get passed 140 bclk, with both G7400 and 12400F. As a complete noob, I tried to select different microcodes, which ended in completely reseting bios to F1, after that, i could reload x6u. Then it happened again and bricking the bios (not completely sure as i didnt investigate further, it hangs on some error code,,, but i think only option will be Q-flash from USB hopefully...)

Just saw Tantekaethe use this X6O bios on G7400 GPUPI 1b with around 160 bclk and 8000C32 for 3rd place. I have a proper chip, thinking with a good board and lots of tweaking maybe it can get top 5. 

Thank you.

Dude, X6o download link already on the opening page..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kaliz said:

Thank you.

Check first post and flash bios with gigabyte.bin and q-flash. For testing of max BCLK don’t forget to reduce memory frequency to 4K or lower to check what is possible with BCLK and Mem isn’t the problem.

for high BCLK you should try slow mode and select it before you have pressed F10 ?

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

F27 bios is online, new cpu, and another Z690 Tachyon with Corsair titanium first edition 7200c34 kit.
but i can't get it stable, 8000c34 train perfectly but above it's really hard, 8400c34 done.

The last time i benched on z690 Tachyon was with kleev kit and z790 x7b bios and i was able to do 8600c34, now i have a better cpu imc, better mem kit but i can't train over 8000 on x7b bios. Any idea ? 

This mem kit can do 8600+ c32 and this cpu 8800c32 ambiant. 

18 minutes ago, sergmann said:

If you are using 13th gen cpu it´s usually pretty easy to boot 8k. On which board was CPU and Mem tested before?

send your settings and we can check it together ;)

it's a 13900ks, binned chip from Germany. 

it does 8800c32 gb3 with z790 apex and galax kit. the kit i'm using is the last corsair dominator titanium first edition. same kit have been tested on a apex and really close to the galax.

here is my current bench profile on f27 bios :

cpu 55/50 1,25v

vccsa 1,3v

vddq 1,35v

vdd2 1,45v

vdd mem 1,65v

vddq mem 1,6v

i am currently running x7b bios that was really solid on my previous z690 Tachyon (SN n°43) and kleev kit with i5 imc binned (8686c34 on it at 1,72v)

but maybe this current board have issue ? ( sn 236) i can do 8400 easely on f27 retail bios while i can't even train a 8000c34 on x7b...

99d00e7b-1173-4934-b3d4-577c44cfbe7c.jpg

Edited by Vertex_FR

Voltage settings are fine so far, you can try to boot with Memory Dive "Flare" for more stability and play a little bit with Mem-voltages. Usually I need with my G.Skill Kit 1,725/1,575

some of your timings are not really good, my mem score with 48gb is a little bit higher for 5,0/4,5 run

20231010-140202.png

6 minutes ago, sergmann said:

Voltage settings are fine so far, you can try to boot with Memory Dive "Flare" for more stability and play a little bit with Mem-voltages. Usually I need with my G.Skill Kit 1,725/1,575

some of your timings are not really good, my mem score with 48gb is a little bit higher for 5,0/4,5 run

20231010-140202.png

yes, i dont have flare mode on retail bios. but i use it on x7b. for the profile it's just a "light" profile for first mem test. then i improve it.