HWBOT Community Forums

GIGABYTE Z690 Tachyon

Have you played with Round trip latency? 
I’ve never seen that RTL’s are different after reboot without changing something in Mem-settings.

lower CL value is connected to RTL’s and also depends on Mem frequency. If you want higher RTL’s, disable round trip latency in memory training area and don’t leave it with “auto” settings 

• Like 1

I received a 32 GB Gskill DDR5-6600 Hynix A-die kit, removed the heatspreaders and cooled the RAM with a 140 mm fan.

The stability is not permanent :

With the X6h bios, I did not manage to obtain stability at 7200 Mhz. I flashed the motherboard with the F23a bios and managed to achieve stability at this frequency, validated with OCCT during 30 min.

Then, I managed to be stable at 7600 Mhz still validated with OCCT during 46 min. OCCT is a reliable torture test and after such a long time, I am stable.

After a few hours, I did OCCT again and many errors appeared after a few minutes (less than 10 min). I checked the parameters in the bios and tREFI was completely different than the value which brought me stability : above 70000 instead of 6435. I corrected the value by entering 6435, rebooted, entered in the bios again and the tREFi value did not change ! I switched off the PC, switched it on and in the bios, 6435 was applied for tREFi. I then checked stability again with OCCT but crash again after only a few minutes.

Since the ambient temperature was not much higher (1-2°C higher), I flashed the F23a bios again, reloaded the 7600 profile which was validated as stable but again, OCCT fails after a few minutes whereas I was stable on this test during 46 min !

I don' t understand why I am not stable any longer : after 46 min without any errors on OCCT, I shouldn't obtain a crash after a few minutes of OCCT : this tool is reliable according to my experience (used since many years).

May the training stage change values even if no parameter is modified in bios ? I see only this explanation.

Edited by passionne56

For stability are many things important. For example voltages. If you have it @“auto” check you stable voltages with Hwinfo and set it manually in bios. Same is also necessary for timings. This low tREFi you have only after loading setup defaults.

Different CPU’s and Mem need different voltage/timings settings. Sometimes are lower voltages for SA/CPU_VDD/CPU_VDDQ better for Mem OC ?

46 minutes ago, sergmann said:

For stability are many things important. For example voltages. If you have it @“auto” check you stable voltages with Hwinfo and set it manually in bios. Same is also necessary for timings. This low tREFi you have only after loading setup defaults.

Different CPU’s and Mem need different voltage/timings settings. Sometimes are lower voltages for SA/CPU_VDD/CPU_VDDQ better for Mem OC ?

OK, I will report after being stable again.

Finally, I am stable at 7600 Mhz. I entered every timing except for the round trip latency.

I would like to flash my parameters into the user XMP memory profile : I don't find where I can do that in the bios. And can Gskill memory be flashed ? I had a Kingston kit before and I was able to flash my memory profile into the XMP user one, on a MSI motherboard.

Finally, I am stable at 7600 Mhz. I entered every timing except for the round trip latency.

I would like to flash my parameters into the user XMP memory profile : I don't find where I can do that in the bios. And can Gskill memory be flashed ? I had a Kingston kit before and I was able to flash my memory profile into the XMP user one, on a MSI motherboard.

I received 2 HMCG78AGBUA084N modules and the PMIC is locked at 1.425 V. Can it be unlocked ? What must I do ?

• 3 weeks later...

The motherboard behaviour is erratic : I use Memtest86+ to find the voltages and the timings at 8000 MT/s on my 2x16 GB 5600 Klevv kit and I rely on the Memtest errors number to find the best parameters. Many times, with the same parameters, the result can be completely different : 4 errors on the whole Memtest86+ tests on one run and on another one, many errors. I reflashed the bios x6o since I suspected a bios corruption but same result.

In order to remove this erratic behaviour, I adjusted every memory parameter except the 2 round trip latency ones : when I enter values on Round Trip Latency(CONA/DIMM0/Rank0) and Round Trip Latency(CONB/DIMM0/Rank0) parameters, I always fail to boot. The parameters I entered are the same chosen by the motherboard (64). I disabled the round trip latency training but I cannot boot.

Consequently, my questions :

- how to remove this erratic motherboard behaviour ?

- why Round Trip Latency(CONA/DIMM0/Rank0) and Round Trip Latency(CONB/DIMM0/Rank0) prevent me to boot ?

Edited by passionne56

On 3/28/2023 at 4:56 PM, passionne56 said:

The motherboard behaviour is erratic : I use Memtest86+ to find the voltages and the timings at 8000 MT/s on my 2x16 GB 5600 Klevv kit and I rely on the Memtest errors number to find the best parameters. Many times, with the same parameters, the result can be completely different : 4 errors on the whole Memtest86+ tests on one run and on another one, many errors. I reflashed the bios x6o since I suspected a bios corruption but same result.

In order to remove this erratic behaviour, I adjusted every memory parameter except the 2 round trip latency ones : when I enter values on Round Trip Latency(CONA/DIMM0/Rank0) and Round Trip Latency(CONB/DIMM0/Rank0) parameters, I always fail to boot. The parameters I entered are the same chosen by the motherboard (64). I disabled the round trip latency training but I cannot boot.

Consequently, my questions :

- how to remove this erratic motherboard behaviour ?

- why Round Trip Latency(CONA/DIMM0/Rank0) and Round Trip Latency(CONB/DIMM0/Rank0) prevent me to boot ?

since a few versions of intel chips it`s not longer possible to adjust RTL`s manually in memory settings. Only with different CL and frequency it´s more or less adjustable. For example, CL32 and 8k on mem you will get 59/60 or 60/60 RTL`s als long as you have activated RoundTripLatency in memory training options. In this case you`ll get tight RTL`s automatically

And yes, it`s sometimes very hard to get 100% stable frequency for mem, because each board, cpu and mem are different. also cooling is important. As soon your memory will be warmer as before, settings are not stable.

For stability is also sometimes necessary to adjust a little bit VCINN and the third VPP A0 voltages. 0,02v more are sometimes very helpfull ;)