HWBOT Community Forums

X58 Overclocking

somerandomtechyboi

Now i have a p6t + x5660 i got for 18$ cause first slot is dead and the top right corner is fked which might be why cmos isnt working but ill have to test that since one of the pins snapped on the cmos holder (needa resolder it and my iron is fked cause i use it to melt plastics)

Literally within the first hour i got it to boot 5ghz cause why the hell not ¯\_ (ツ) _/¯ 

Now i wanna start clocking the balls off everything else

Uncore seems to scale with ioh pcie voltage but board thinks 1.76v is unsafe, whats the safe volt for ioh pcie (aka ioh i/o) and what voltage does it take to spontaneously die?

Im also screwing around with qpi but raising qpi volt doesnt do anything, neither does ioh pcie do anything either, tops out at ~8500 or maybe it just doesnt like the higher multis

Pcie doesnt scale with ioh pcie either, max 125

Bclk got it to 230 with 115 pcie but idk how to stabilize it and booting is extremely slow at that bclk cause it spends a boat load of time on ram checking (d5) and actually getting past gpu initialization (2A) not to mention the bios splash screen (75)

I use a pci debug card aka post card so i have a rough idea of what the board is doing

Btw what volt does 4.6ghz usually require? Cause i set 1.4v but that just bsods (no llc)

P6T just isn't a good board for BCLK. You can improve the behavior a bit by flashing it to P6X58D, but it still won't do amazingly well. Most boards top out around 8200 QPI, strongest boards I've had were doing 8800ish. There is little reason to increase QPI anyways, it only improves throughput to the chipset; not relevant to any 2D benches. As a matter of fact, I usually bench with QPI Slowmode enabled (which stock P6T doesn't support), since that allows running higher BCLKs.

CPU matters a lot for BCLK capability; 32nm chips vary from 220-260ish, with outliers into the high 270s (though 270+ is <1% of chips). 45nm is usually worse, with chips ranging from 210-240ish. early 30xx chips usually don't do particularly well on that either.

I never managed to kill any x58 boards with voltage, though scaling is often nowhere near worth it to bother increasing them far enough.

Good chips typically do 4500+ Cinebench R15 at 1.3V; going up to 1.4V my best chips end up in the 4760+ range.

CMOS battery holder I wouldn't even bother, I never bother with a bios battery anyways, makes booting up the system after a session on cold far less dangerous not running one in the first place, and improves your habit of documenting settings.

3 hours ago, ground said:

P6T just isn't a good board for BCLK. You can improve the behavior a bit by flashing it to P6X58D, but it still won't do amazingly well

Done, as soon as i first booted i didnt even bother with the p6t deluxe bios and wet to flashing a rampage iii bios, didnt work so flashed a p6x58d premium bios (apparently it has the same ebb as rampage iii so no worries about ebb screwing it over), any asus or ami board that i come across i immedeatly flash or mod bios (p5q, p5q pro, etc.), though as per usual theres prob some other settings that arent in the bios, gotta love asus bios crippling bullcrap .-.

What freq does slowmode run at?

And also how far can i push the voltage on ioh pcie (aka ioh i/o) before it just outright dies? Cause it already redzones at 1.76v and goes all the way to 2.76v, is it just like the cpu and tolerates 2.05v ish before dying or does it take even more volt to outright die?

Ok now im screwing around with more efficiency focused oc so i can daily it without completely nuking my parents power bill and because my cooler wont handle more than 1.25v without the cpu constantly burning at 95c

I intend on running 3.6-3.8g or whatever freq that is just below diminishing returns and making up the performance by ocing the balls off uncore/uclk

Asus boards generally dont allow you to kill anything even if you set max volt and qpi is at 1.9v max, id assume itd be fine to daily 1.5-1.55v since 0.4v under max allowed by asus bios is what id consider safe, though is it actually fine to run qpi over 1.4v? Cause ive heard of ppl having degradation issues but i find that abit hard to belive when ive heard of a measly 1.45v "killing" a 45nm 775 quadcore when theyll handle 1.6v just fine, 45nm only starts dying at ~2.05v iirc

And what freq do these 32nm xeons usually do at 1.1 and 1.2v?

Edit: for whatever reason high uclk above 3.9g keeps bsoding even with high qpi voltage (1.47v for 3.9g, 1.53v for 4g), theres nothing i changed other than uncore volt (aka qpi core volt) and ofc the freq, i did screw around with the ioh pcie (aka ioh i/o) volt but that didnt do anything

Edited by somerandomtechyboi