HWBOT Community Forums

Did i damage my CPU or motherboard ?

matpc

Hello

I have a Asus Tuf B550M motherboard, a Ryzen 7 5700X and an XPG Pylon 650w PSU.

I have installed a new cpu fan as well as some case fans.

I´ve tried to set the max frequency ( 4,6ghz) in ryzen master to test some temps

However , when i tried to do it , it asked me to also change the voltage (to 1,55v , maxvoltage) and when i did it my , cpu temperature was like 100 degrees in 5 seconds and the pc shut off

I´m wondering if this could cause any damage? i turned on the pc after just fine but i´m kinda worried

Thanks

6 minutes ago, Leeghoofd said:

not on that short period of time...... Iike Mr.Scott said this is buil tin protection to avoid any damage...

sorry being insistent , but do you think it degraded or stuff?

This mechanism completely avoids all damage?

Thanks

9 minutes ago, Leeghoofd said:

That's never 2000% certain, but it seems a temp protection that kicked in to protect your CPU

These CPUs can handle high temps under laod, would surprise me if a short period at 100°C did any damage...

Now pushing 1.55 volts through a CPU on air really doesn't like a good idea

i see

but what did harm the most , the high temp or the voltage ? 

it turned off because of high voltage or temp?

Would be ok to run 1.55v on lower temps?

thanks

1 minute ago, matpc said:

i see

but what did harm the most , the high temp or the voltage ? 

it turned off because of high voltage or temp?

Would be ok to run 1.55v on lower temps?

thanks

i was only at the desktop also , only ryzen master running , nothing else

25 minutes ago, Leeghoofd said:

is the CPU still functional ?If yes nothing happened... just don't run 1.55 volts from Ryzen Master

i see

it apparently works

sorry being insistent but i´m kinda worried i may have trouble in the future

Most CPU's under normal circumstances can survive like 10 years before they stop working properly. Maybe yours will die in 9 years instead of 10 and maybe it'll overclock 50Mhz less, but it's hard to say. There's always some degradation, even when you don't overclock, overclocking just overclocks the speed of degradation.

I wouldn't worry too much, your motherboard will either die before your CPU or you've already replaced the CPU by the time it would have died, CPUs just don't die that often and modern CPU's are even designed to run at 95-100°c (and Zen5's overtemp protection sometimes only kicks in at 115°c).

Also, I've done 1,7V on air on a Core2Duo, thing still works fine.

Edited by wutske

2 hours ago, wutske said:

Most CPU's under normal circumstances can survive like 10 years before they stop working properly. Maybe yours will die in 9 years instead of 10 and maybe it'll overclock 50Mhz less, but it's hard to say. There's always some degradation, even when you don't overclock, overclocking just overclocks the speed of degradation.

I wouldn't worry too much, your motherboard will either die before your CPU or you've already replaced the CPU by the time it would have died, CPUs just don't die that often and modern CPU's are even designed to run at 95-100°c (and Zen5's overtemp protection sometimes only kicks in at 115°c).

Also, I've done 1,7V on air on a Core2Duo, thing still works fine.

how much time you ran 1.7v?

i´m worried because people say that 1.55v for ryzens are absolute death , i even saw a post on reddit that a user killed a 3500 in 30 mins of 1.55v with good temps

On 10/23/2023 at 10:50 PM, Mr.Scott said:

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear. ;)

https://hwbot.org/submission/5141744_wutske_cpu_frequency_pentium_e2200_4015.86_mhz

1.88V on air ;) .

Somehow I even got it at 1.92V stable and cool enough for Wprime:

https://hwbot.org/submission/5141760_wutske_wprime___32m_pentium_e2200_21sec_453ms

Those were either outside or on the window sill during winter to get low enough ambient temps to get to that result ?

I didn't run it for hours on that voltage and that CPU even survived the worst delidding ever. These things are though for short amounts of time.

On 10/23/2023 at 6:09 PM, matpc said:

how much time you ran 1.7v?

i´m worried because people say that 1.55v for ryzens are absolute death , i even saw a post on reddit that a user killed a 3500 in 30 mins of 1.55v with good temps

All CPU's are different. You can also easily kill the early Core i's when your QPI voltage was to far off the VDDR. Core2Duo's can also die easily if your GTL voltage are outside a specific range. However, these CPUs died after months of running at those settings. You could potentially kill them instantly with these settings, but the thing is, you didn't ;) . The QPI and GTL voltage are very specific ones that either depend on other voltage or other voltage depend on them. VCore is usually pretty straightforward.

The most important thing is, yours still works fine, so you didn't kill it. If you want to go into a rabbit hole, your VCore is absolutely not stable at all and it spikes and drops a lot. You can check out this video from Bildzoid :

Basically, a 1.15V average Vcore is in reality a minimum voltage of 1.10V to a maximum of 1.27V and that's under a sustained load. With more varying loads it'll overshoot and undershoot a lot more. Voltage regulation is reactive: if there's load, the voltage drops (vdroop) and then the regulators allow more current to counter the voltage drop, but if the load suddenly drops again, it'll overshoot because it was allowing enough current to flow through to support a high load.

• 3 months later...

1.55V on CPU ...High voltage = high temps as well as CPU degradation.

What cooling.....on phase that is still a bit high but on air 😮

I would have thought AIO is bare minimum .

Why did you set voltage so high ?

When we run 1.7V or 1.8V we are running LN2 not air 😉

Edited by spit051261