HWBOT Community Forums

single GPU category

bazx

i have a question

i understand that there are problems with separating out the multi GPU cards from the single GPU cards in the current database

but how difficult would it be to start a new database form scratch just for single GPU cards that would give full global points to the benchers

boys you seem a little grummpy tonight

its 4 months since my last attempt at getting you to see the light and support the single GPU bencher

maybe i will get my mother to bake you both a cake each

But ... we actually understand why this feature might be interesting for some people and what's it supposed to do.

The only problem is that implenting that kind of ranking is very time-consuming if we want to do it properly. I guess you're not waiting for a list produced by a query just giving you the ranking of the best single gpu scores? You'd want it to have a place on the frontpage, maybe cups/awards, points if possible, visibility in the different hardware sections and so on.

And even a query would not be that easy, actually, because the database doesn't 'know' what card is dual card and which is not. So, we'd be manually selecting the cards that can apply for this ranking. A huge query cannot be ran each hour.

it would not need all the extras i think just a ranking on its own would do

with some real points just like the other cards

if you started a new small database and just linked it to the front page

A new database? Why would be starting to split up databases? So people would have to submit results twice to get the most amount of points possible? How can you have points for one ranking and have it completely seperated from the rest of the database?

you can find out anything you want using search function now baz no?

we all know that for example GTX285 and 4890 are probably the most powerful single core cards around so just search for results with those cards to see how close or far you would be

unless you are thinking of overall rankings with lower end hardware...that would be time consuming i guess but most certainly very interesting. I still get a kick out of benching single core cards and seeing what they capable of. For example i ran a single 4890 3DMARK01 just for the hell of it and got 120K even with a screwed up order run and though how good is this shit....120K with a single core ati card :D...they sure are improving them a lot

we shouldnt give them a hard time over single or multicore as we've already all voted and made our mind up....i voted against i think but majority wins i guess

benching is getting harder and more expensive every day over here dino

there are some real good single GPU cards out and as you say there is a great deal of fun to be had from benching them

all we need to do find is a way to add real points to them or rank them on there own to bring this categorie back

it would be a very popular class imo

benching is getting harder and more expensive every day over here dino

there are some real good single GPU cards out and as you say there is a great deal of fun to be had from benching them

all we need to do find is a way to add real points to them or rank them on there own to bring this categorie back

it would be a very popular class imo

can you see it yet tho

i was under the impression that it would be easier

The easiest way to implent a ranking for the single gpu videocards is to have a query running in the background which just gives a ranking. Basicly, I'd be something like the current global ranking query, but we'd have to manually exclude all GX2's and X2's since the bot doesn't know what dual GPU cards are (since there's no field in the hw database for this). Now, to create this, I reckon RB wouldn't even need 15 minutes, the problem is how to implent in on the website.

If you just want a ranking, I reckon we could make a different page for these rankings. Add the query to that page and be done with it.

But, you want more than just the ranking: you want people getting real points for it, you want to have those points redirected to the accounts of those who recieve them ... and that's a real problem, because with the database's current state, it's nearly impossible to just add new ways to award points. And I don't only mean technically, I also mean conceptually: both rankings we have now are very straightforward, whereas the single GPU isn't.

Global = highest in benchmark

Hardware = Highest in benchmark per hardware category

SingleGPU = highest in benchmark excluding a few cards

The SingleGPU ranking is just too artificial to be implented in the Hwboints program. Even with a (highly needed) complete cleanup of the current code, it would be nearly impossible to implent this category with points.

The only way I may see for this to work is to have a complete re-write of the code making it possible to add new benchmark/challenges. But THAT is a 6-month job.

The easiest way to implent a ranking for the single gpu videocards is to have a query running in the background which just gives a ranking. Basicly, I'd be something like the current global ranking query, but we'd have to manually exclude all GX2's and X2's since the bot doesn't know what dual GPU cards are (since there's no field in the hw database for this). Now, to create this, I reckon RB wouldn't even need 15 minutes, the problem is how to implent in on the website.

If you just want a ranking, I reckon we could make a different page for these rankings. Add the query to that page and be done with it.

But, you want more than just the ranking: you want people getting real points for it, you want to have those points redirected to the accounts of those who recieve them ... and that's a real problem, because with the database's current state, it's nearly impossible to just add new ways to award points. And I don't only mean technically, I also mean conceptually: both rankings we have now are very straightforward, whereas the single GPU isn't.

Global = highest in benchmark

Hardware = Highest in benchmark per hardware category

SingleGPU = highest in benchmark excluding a few cards

The SingleGPU ranking is just too artificial to be implented in the Hwboints program. Even with a (highly needed) complete cleanup of the current code, it would be nearly impossible to implent this category with points.

The only way I may see for this to work is to have a complete re-write of the code making it possible to add new benchmark/challenges. But THAT is a 6-month job.

i would be happy with a ranking system for now massman as it would at least allow for competition

so that would be great

benchtec could also help with the moderation of the group if that would help

points are not every thing to me any more

you don't get points at futuremark

all it would need to have is a list from 1st to 20th just like the other card groups on a sub page

that would be great

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...