HWBOT Community Forums

Possible free Ghetto LN2/DICE Pot for beginners? lol

sin0822

Remember how Intel CPU cooler have that copper core and usually are hollow under the fan? well I was just checking my old Q6600 cooler, i took the fan off, and there is a very sizable hollowness.

Now i gave it some thought, first of all it would work, as poorly as it would, it still would work. Such little surface area with such little mass couldn't hold much heat, but maybe it could? as this cooler is designed to handle heavy load's, maybe 1/5 of the weight of a proper pot.

Anyone ever see things they thought would make great cheap POTs for people who don't want to buy one, but might wanna try Ln2 on a older system? I think it'd be a good idea, i might try this out, but i just desoldered everything off my P5K deluxe, so i don't have a board to test the CPu and Ln2 out on.

I know part of the reason a lot of people don't get into the thing is because they have no idea how they will like it, and without a pot you really can't try it out. lol

20120223145942.jpg

20120223145932.jpg

Knock out the copper slug, bit of copper pipe = NB pot.

is it possible to knock out? that is what i wanted to do, but it seems like it was processed and then cooled and wont come out. But i also know you guys do crazy things that i wouldn't think are possible.

Extreme GPU cooling on an extreme budget (also has applications for ram or NB cooling):

http://www.overclockers.com/extreme-gpu-cooling-extreme-budget

gangsta.

is it possible to knock out? that is what i wanted to do, but it seems like it was processed and then cooled and wont come out. But i also know you guys do crazy things that i wouldn't think are possible.

LN2 has uses I believe in fitting metal components together. Don't know if copper would shrink faster than aluminum, but if you didn't want to chop the aluminum off with a rotary tool, you could try freezing the crap out of the thing and knocking the slug out. The cold would either seize it up worse, or give you just a bit of extra give.

Either way, you are pouring LN2 on stuff so its good entertainment.

gangsta.

I tried to knock it out but no success, maybe with heating the aluminium part.

Did it the hard way:

http://www.oc-lab.si/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3821

Works great as a NB pot, or CPU pot (<30W TDP)

This is a version by otterauge, back in the day when he was building a lot of nice coolers.

It has an enhanced internal structure for more surface.

Worked on a X48 Northbridge, but mass is a bit too less if your are using ln, even for a NB over 1,8V ;)

But for dice, it is better than nothing dude ;)

bildschirmfoto2012-02l5cje.png

Edited by @rne