HWBOT Community Forums

0.0 - Core i7 4600M @ 4604MHz - 572 marks XTU

minicoopers

In what way doesn't it fit?

Is it because the CPU can be unlocked to use an additional 40+ bins instead of the limited unlock of 4 bins?

Is it because XTU software will not acknowledge such an unlock and will display Intels defined limits but will correctly report frequencies and bench score?

Is it because with beefier hardware, good DRAM and cooling it could easily pass a score of 600 taking first place over desktop dual cores? A single heat-pipe and 2 phases isn't exactly extreme on this laptop lol.

Neither.

Done through BIOS Firmware modification as explained when i7-4700MQ was unlocked. Only one user showed any interest and successfully unlocked his own CPU.

Made me curios, bios doesn't control cpu settings in this generation, the ME firmware does, but then that's inside the bios so you're kind of right. Possible on all all M CPUs? I'll take another look over the whitepapers, don't know what registers are involved :)

Guest TheMadDutchDude

From what I remember, you are able to change the multiplier on this chip before a certain microcode update (based on his thread).

I don't remember entirely. I do remember seeing a thread though, and I was intrigued by it. :D

Made me curios, bios doesn't control cpu settings in this generation, the ME firmware does, but then that's inside the bios so you're kind of right. Possible on all all M CPUs? I'll take another look over the whitepapers, don't know what registers are involved :)

I see ME Firmware and BIOS firmware as 2 different firmwares although they exist on the same chip as different regions, same as you think if I have understood you correctly.

Here's the submission link it was discussed under mainly with user ice.cold who also shared some useful findings. http://hwbot.org/submission/2830783_

My own gut feeling is that programmable ratio's are required and perhaps one of the reasons why non-k Haswell desktop CPU's don't have the limited unlocked bins the previous 2 generations enjoyed. I could be wrong though. Not so important with the mobile CPU's if they are unlocked as most systems have a hard enough time keeping things cool at stock, let alone overclocked.

Being an enthusiast with very limited hardware I bought the i7-4600m mainly out of curiosity and being the same socket to see if it were the same across early mobile HSW dual and quad processors. Still leaves a lot of unanswered questions though such as was it fixed up in the refresh or continued with Broadwell.

For some strange reason I find it interesting to see how these CPU's can perform, whether they be desktop or mobile. Maybe because they are such an amazing piece of technology consuming huge amounts of energy in such a small package.

The unlocking of the i7-4700MQ was more of an accident than anything, stumbled upon whilst I was trying to get the coarse bclk feature of the i7-4700MQ working (125MHz/166MHz..).

Nothing to do with the BIOS vendor GENiEBEN, it's a feature of the CPU's.

It wasn't my intention to take points from the extremists and my entry is far from extreme, just to try and generate some interest. Hope I have done that, submission is now without points. Cheers.

TBH I don't really care about the points so much but maybe your right, posting 5th place didn't get any likes so WTH.

Would like to push at least 600 but memory bandwidth isn't helping and the core voltage is getting high as is thermals. Have to give it another try soon, had really hoped someone would do it extreme just to see what is possible. Extreme is out of my means for now.

Seems to be very little interest in overclocking mobile chips and now with the move to all BGA probably the last gen with which anything decent might be obtained. :(

Seems to be very little interest in overclocking mobile chips and now with the move to all BGA probably the last gen with which anything decent might be obtained. :(

Unfortunately yes, I can count on one hand the usual guys I spot in the mobile rankings. http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=131205

BGA isn't that much of a problem, after all there are BGA>LGA mods available, as long as there's a socketed board. I just wish more manufacturers used the overclocking options in their ME FW (or at least allow SPI flashing), so far only MSI, HP, Clevo, Alien make it easier.

• Crew

I guess if you open a thread at TechInferno you will get a 10 sites+ discussion.

Apart from that you really should consider enable points for your 597xtu score as this should get your self some more attraction. And maybe Dancop has finally an explanation why he lost 40gp and doesnt see someone before him in the i3 4370 ranking... ;)

Thanks guys, appreciated. For some reason I thought not enabling points would leave the other competitors scores intact. They've done a lot more hard work getting those points with the hardware used while my own is, well amateurish.

Managed to break 600 so happy with that. No more having to hold the laptop in front of the aircon lol to enable enough heat latency in the stock cooling to be able to run full speed for 5 seconds or so before power throttling down rather than thermal throttling at over 1.5V. I'll leave it to the extremists to produce some much better scores.

Possibly all early Haswell mobile chips with ratio overclocking are for all intents and purposes unlocked and this "errata" is fixed by microcode update. The top multi seems to be 80 plus the number of limited unlocked bins. For example the i7-4700MQ has 2 limited unlocked bins so 82 bins is the limit, i7-4600m has 4 limited unlocked bins so 84 bins is the limit and so on. Obviously I haven't tried running those. I don't know if the refresh fixed this errata or not.

Here's an example for the i7-4600m using HWiNFO without any microcode update and ratio limits set to max for the i7-4600m.

2z5re5h.png

If there are any extremists wanting to try this I would be happy to try and answer any questions regarding this although hopefully enough has been explained. Just a couple of things to watch out for are core VID reading half the real value without any microcode update and no VCCIN override until the update has been applied, well that's how it worked for me. Once the update has been applied any further attempt to change ratio's other than p-states will kill the unlocked settings.

Not so sure about the interview after all I didn't beat Dancop the man himself, I just beat the hardware. An interview would look a lot better if done with an extreme overclocker IMHO.

• 4 weeks later...