HWBOT Community Forums

TerraRaptor - TUSL2-C @ 242.9MHz - 242.86 MHz Reference Clock

GRIFF

Epower, Vnb, Vtt, cap mod. Also, replaced all electrolytic capacitors, NB cooling and placed a sink on all elements worth cooling. Actually Vtt is completely useless. I have also tried a number of other mods ( Vagp, Vsb, Vpll) but some kill cpus quickly with almost no effect and some are useless. 8 dead and almost dead s370 boards since august 01 :)

Binning and cooling are the key factors - voltages are not.

Why did the japanese had all these turbopll then? Cant imagine they binned 10 boards back in 2001 to get their 260Mhz fsb. :D

SetFsb is supposed to not have "ultra" mode back in the day so the boards were limited with 206.4fsb in normal mode. Also, higher VCO deviders are said to have more jitter so turbopll allows to avoid them.

Japanese were at top tier those times so why not assume they binned the same way we bin now?)

I have an idea of making real turbopll but later days.

I have discovered similar things:

1. Default vNB voltage can be raised +0.15..+0.3 V and it is nice. And adding more vNB gives absolutely nothing.

2. VTT mod didn't kill any of my CPUs, but it gave me nothing. Some Tualatins doesnt like rising VTT, but some was working even with Coppermine VTT level and higher without problems.

3. vSB mod was not doing anything. (was VSB mod working to you Terraraptor?)

4. My first "good-for-overclocking" s370 mobo was CUSL2 and I did lots of mods, and those probably degradated it (max ~170-180 FSB)(in my HWB scores).

Also:

TUSL2 doesnt work with "Mendocino" CPUs and putting those to TUSL2 will drastically rise a temperature of VTT transistor due to uncompability (and it can probably burn mobo in a few seconds). It's interesting, because I thought that CUSL2 (which can work with 250 um CPUs) is practically the same mobo as TUSL2.

I have 2 pieces of TUSL2 and I havent see any difference between those (except one is modded, second is "vanilla"). and a few Abits are waiting for their turn.

You also wrote about PLL mod? Do you mean rising voltage of ICS clock chip? As far as I know there's no vPLL voltage documented in any Intel Coppermine/Tualatin/s370 datasheet or "whitepaper".

I was thinking about do my own Turbo-PLL mod. I really wanted to do this, but this "project" appeared to me as hard and maybe not worth. I wanted to do this on DDR1-s370 motherboard. This doesn't mean that I will never do this "mod". I haven't done proper research yet and I do not know about difficulties and obstacles on the way to do a proper-low jitter-rock stable-low ppm drift(-and so...) clock source. I also want to do this mod, but if it was very flexible (will work with s370 and socket P also). The key is probably in choice of the best chip.

So if you want to share any info about PLL mod, please PM me, this would be interesting project.

3. vSB mod was not doing anything. (was VSB mod working to you Terraraptor?)

Nope, no effect.

You also wrote about PLL mod? Do you mean rising voltage of ICS clock chip? As far as I know there's no vPLL voltage documented in any Intel Coppermine/Tualatin/s370 datasheet or "whitepaper".

<...>

So if you want to share any info about PLL mod, please PM me, this would be interesting project.

Check what are W33 and U33 legs.

An abstract from PIII datasheet:

It is highly critical that phase lock loop power delivery to the processor meets Intel’s requirements.

A low pass filter is required for power delivery to pins PLL1 and PLL2. This serves as an isolated,

decoupled power source for the internal PLL. Please refer to the Phase Lock Loop Power section in

the appropriate platform design guide for the recommended filter specifications.

I have killed my best cpus of 2012-2014 (almost 20 pieces) testing it last winter. Actually they left me too fast to decide whether the mod has any effect :)

Also I want also check the mod for CLKREF (Y33).

Hmm, I have not seen that PLL thing or forgoted... or it was my mistake. (I remember now not P3. It was P4 and no VTT voltage or something :) )

I meant Turbo-PLL here.

CLKREF - you mean to reduse jutter or to clear the signal? (I remember one thing about this pin - there is the same pin in slot1 datasheet - that's all I know )

It's a shame that you killed your best cpus :( They always gone so fast...