HWBOT Community Forums

980 TI goes into P8 power state in compute?

Lays

Everytime I try to run GPUPI or any sort of GPU compute benchmark or Folding @ Home, my card downclocks to 405 mhz core and 810 mhz on the memory and goes into P8 power state. The card has NO problem in 3D applications, so I'm unsure what's going on.

I've tried 4 different drivers, tried using DDU in between them to see if that was the issue and that didn't help either. The card does this even at stock settings, but it never used to. Before I switched to Z170, on my z97 platform the card could fold all day long and run GPUPI no problem. I've sold my Z97 stuff, so I can't test if that's the issue or not.

Anyone else know what the issue is or what I can try?

Specs listed here:

ASUS 980 TI Matrix Platinum

i3 6320 @ 4.4

ASRock Z170 OC Formula

G.Skill TridentZ 2x8Gb 3600 mhz 16-16-16-36

EVGA 1000 P2 PSU

Dimastech Mini V2 test bench

Full custom loop + 1080mm radiator

What OS are you using? Power save features turned off?

Tried 10, and 7, same result on both.

Power save off yes, tried using K-boost as well to lock card into P0 state. Once GPUPI or F@H start, instantly downclocks to P8 mode @ 405 mhz.

Tried 10, and 7, same result on both.

Power save off yes, tried using K-boost as well to lock card into P0 state. Once GPUPI or F@H start, instantly downclocks to P8 mode @ 405 mhz.

you could try nvidia power mizer manager, I can't remember if I had to use that but the last time I ran that bench was with a 980. Or you could try to edit your bios and change the lower state clocks.

also did you try with the normal bios for the 6320.

Edited by Strong Island

you could try nvidia power mizer manager, I can't remember if I had to use that but the last time I ran that bench was with a 980. Or you could try to edit your bios and change the lower state clocks.

also did you try with the normal bios for the 6320.

I tried without an OC on the 6320 with the "sky OC" turned off, but it still did it if I remember right.

Where can I find that power mizer thing? I tried googling but couldn't seem to find a download for it.

Not sure how current this is, but this would be a good place to start:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x2mug7sfg0ab9g8/AADjz4TQ3_5DPSzBE4fFssIra?dl=0

Applied settings and all that, it worked to boost the card and lock it in P0 mode.

Once I open GPUPI, it throttles back down anyways.

nkBE5.png

Once I close it, it instantly boosts back to P0 mode...

nkBHY.png

Applied settings and all that, it worked to boost the card and lock it in P0 mode.

Once I open GPUPI, it throttles back down anyways.

nkBE5.png

Once I close it, it instantly boosts back to P0 mode...

nkBHY.png

sorry, was hoping it would work, either way that program is awesome, especially for older benches and newer cards

sorry, was hoping it would work, either way that program is awesome, especially for older benches and newer cards

At this point I'm wondering if there's something to do with the i3 6320, or the OCF. I'm starting to think maybe there is a setting in the BIOS I'm missing, or if the 6320 somehow has some issue or something, I dunno...

It didn't do this previously on my Z97 setup :(

I don't know what else to try :/

Figured it out, when I thought I had tried the stock BIOS, it turns out the card only has one BIOS on it at once. So when I had flipped the switch to stock BIOS, it was still using the Ln2 BIOS, because thats what BIOS had been flashed on the card. So the Ln2 switch isn't a separate BIOS whatsoever, it just gives more options in the GPU Tweak stuff.

I flashed the stock bios and it works fine, so apparently the BIOS from the 980 TI Matrix thread that improves memory OC, doesn't work for GPU Compute.