HWBOT Community Forums

The Official Geekbench3 Memory Challenge thread

Rauf

• Crew

Hey guys. I'm currently writing a short news article to announce winners. I notice lots of variation in the CPU choices, for example Pentium G3258 chips being used by a few guys in the DDR3 stage. Seems slightky odd. Any reason for this? I realize this is a memory oriented contest, so just wondering what is motivating the CPU choices in this contest. Thanks in advance... :)

• Administrators

A lot of guys sold their more expensive and valuable older gen chips (Haswell, Devils Canyon, Ivy bridge) when Skylake and now Kaby came to finance this or get space. You take what you have or buy cheap, G3258 is cheapest overclockable chip for 1150/1155 DDR3 sockets. This is at least my best guess and partially what I did, I hope for more feedback for you.

A lot of guys sold their more expensive and valuable older gen chips (Haswell, Devils Canyon, Ivy bridge) when Skylake and now Kaby came to finance this or get space. You take what you have or buy cheap, G3258 is cheapest overclockable chip for 1150/1155 DDR3 sockets. This is at least my best guess and partially what I did, I hope for more feedback for you.

This is exactly right! For me, G3258 was cheap enough to keep but all other 1150 chips were sold to make money for SKL.

It was a big bummer realizing how important CPU was in the DDR3 section. My quad PSC would have been near the top if I had used an i7. It seems the CPU cache stricture is very important for even the geek3 memory score.

• 3 months later...