HWBOT Community Forums

Can't find rookie AMD competitions?

Hi,

I'm new to hwbot.

Just set up my 2nd ever Dry Ice setup (pot mounted & primed) and system powered on at -50.

I have an AMD FX-8350.

I head over to hwbot, select 'competitions' and looked through all the rookie rumbles.

The only competition I can find (currently ongoing) on the "rookie rumbles" is one involving XTC (a benchmark that only runs on intel platforms).

Are there no competitions I can participate in just now?

I've spent all this time/money setting everything up; now I'm not sure what to do next....?

Anyone able to show me the ropes please or, steer me in the right direction, about where to start?

Last month (on my 1st ever session) I broke the record for the fastest CPU frequency ever recorded using my old motherboard model (fastest with an ASrock 990FX Killer). <--- that gave me a motivation and a goal.

Links:

ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer @ HWBOT (top link)

(I've now upgraded to the ASrock 990FX Extreme 9 (12+2) phase. A proper O/C'ers board).

Where do I go now?

Thanks guys.

Nick Peyton

Edited by Nick_Peyton

In a while there will be another round of "challenger divisions". At least one of the divisions will be AMD only. There is also Rookie ryzen rumble which is ongoing now, but you would probably need a ryzen CPU :) However I don't think extreme cooling is allowed for rookie competitions.

The thing is not many bench AMD these days. Maybe ryzen will change that, but until then I think you will find more joy just using the database to find hw-categories and benchmarks you can do. Search for your CPU and/or GPU and select some approriate targets to try and beat.

In a while there will be another round of "challenger divisions". At least one of the divisions will be AMD only. There is also Rookie ryzen rumble which is ongoing now, but you would probably need a ryzen CPU :) However I don't think extreme cooling is allowed for rookie competitions.

The thing is not many bench AMD these days. Maybe ryzen will change that, but until then I think you will find more joy just using the database to find hw-categories and benchmarks you can do. Search for your CPU and/or GPU and select some approriate targets to try and beat.

Extreme cooling isn't allowed for rookie competitions?

Oh, that is a surprise to me; I always assumed the rookie competitions were for inexperienced overclockers, who are just "starting out" with DRY ICE etc.

In that case; since I've already taken the plunge and bought all the gear (Kingpin pot e.t.c) then what categorary would I fall under?

I am totally lost; I have spent time browsing the site e.t.c but there's a lot to get your head around; and not really sure where I'm meant to go from here.

I believed AMD was still a great (fun) platform to bench due to lack of cold bug etc. And because you're likely to get good results.

I just "bettered" by last result using my new mobo, got my highest frequency up from 5900 to 6116.05 MHz.

Also completed a single-core cine-bench run at 6000 Mhz.

I *nearly* completed a multi-core run at the same speed, but it crashed towards the end. Temp jumped from -53c to -13c in a matter of seconds. Crash happened at -13c.

Voltage was 1.725v with LLC activated (but on minimum).

Bad mount, or would a temp jump like that be expected under Dry Ice? (I was using hwinfo64 to measure socket temp).

Thanks for your post.

Nick.

Since you have submitted a score with dice you were automatically moved to "apprentice" league. Rookies, novices and enthusiast league are not allow to use subzero cooling. It is a bit counter intuitive but last few years here have been alot about restrictions and not so much about pushing your system to the max...

I have never really used amd so can't help you with that. However using an old platform can be harder than something newer, because there is more "support" from vendors, community etc. Software, guides etc. You could try intels kaby lake cpus if you want to invest more in benching.

Yes,

I really do.

I find the prospect of getting my system to do something it was never meant to, exciting!

Who would think you could get a 4GHZ CPU to 6.1GHZ.

And watching the pot bubble away; with the nerve-racking questions:

a) have I insulted enough

b) is next voltage boost going to be the last (on this CPU)

and:

a)watching CPU at extreme temperature

b)thinking of the effort it took to get it there

c)doing something nobody in my entire city has probably done before with their computer

maybe:

a)fiddling with electronics to get past restrictions

There's just something about benching I enjoy. I like pushing the boundaries.

I do have a question now:

I am thinking of upgrading my CPU. To something newer than my FX 8350.

Is there a specific CPU or hardware that has a strong "overclocking community" around it? You know-- like something I can join to feel I am participating in or contributing towards?

What CPU/hardware would that be?

What would you recommend I get, to have the most fun benching?

What is fun to bench?

I have really enjoyed doing Dry Ice on my FX 8350, this month & last. (first 2 extreme cooling sessions; ever).

I like the idea of buying Ryzen. But I cant decide between a 'Ryzen 1700' or an 'i7 7700k'

Edited by Nick_Peyton

• Members

It depends what you want, picking a newish intel cpu will mean a lot of other people are probably submitting results with them, so you should be able to get help etc with the hardware.

In general I'd look at different pieces of hardware on hwbot and see what has a good number of results etc, as this means you'll both be able to potentially earn some half decent points, and hopefully will be able to talk to others who have done similar things.