HWBOT Community Forums

Mobo bootloop after vaseline insulation

unityofsaints

Hi,

I did my first DICE session rescently on a Z97 SOC Force and initially did a quick CPU frequency test uninsulated just to check everything worked. It worked but predictably stopped booting after ~30 mins.

I dried the board and it booted on air. Then I proceeded to insulate it with vaseline - this is where it stopped posting, in fact it cuts out so early that I don't even get a post code. I tried with two good CPUs and multiple RAM sticks and it still doesn't work - what's the best way to remove the vaseline completely? Buildzoid says dishwasher is the way to go but I just want to be 100% before messing any more with this board that isn't easy to get in this part of the world.

Guest Wimpzilla

Hello,

I would tend to have same opinion as him. I was too afraid that water/soap could damage components, but at the end, if you wash carefully and then dry carefully there should be no problem.

The crucial point is completely carefully dry the mb with an air dryer/gun, eating the whole board without damaging plastics parts.

Then brush the board checking carefully if any salt deposits built up anywhere.

The best would be to wash the board with distilled water before drying it, to be sure to remove any salt/soap.

ive had vaseline in the socket as well, but never had it stop it from booting, ive even put vaseline in the socket once with no booting issues, and being in australia you know the issue we have with colder temps aginst the ambient temp and the condensation that happens at times, maybe there was some condensation from the dice still lying around stopping it from booting, i use methylated spirits as is disipates moisture and dries pretty quickly and soft bristle brush to clean it off, it takes a little time but does dilute the vaseline and im careful to brush the pins if its an intel socket the way the pins lie as in some intel sockets they change their lie direction, once i can see the metho stay its clear appearance i use a heat gun to dry or it can be left in the direct sun for a few days to make sure its completely dry, i do the same method if no vaseline if i get condensation anywhere, now i use closed foam insulation pads cut to size for the socket and outer socket area and rarely have a condensation issue

ive had vaseline in the socket as well, but never had it stop it from booting, ive even put vaseline in the socket once with no booting issues, and being in australia you know the issue we have with colder temps aginst the ambient temp and the condensation that happens at times, maybe there was some condensation from the dice still lying around stopping it from booting, i use methylated spirits as is disipates moisture and dries pretty quickly and soft bristle brush to clean it off, it takes a little time but does dilute the vaseline and im careful to brush the pins if its an intel socket the way the pins lie as in some intel sockets they change their lie direction, once i can see the metho stay its clear appearance i use a heat gun to dry or it can be left in the direct sun for a few days to make sure its completely dry, i do the same method if no vaseline if i get condensation anywhere, now i use closed foam insulation pads cut to size for the socket and outer socket area and rarely have a condensation issue

I kept the CPU in the socket while I was insulating it, I thought that should keep the vaseline out of the socket? I dried it overnight so it's I'm pretty sure it's the vaseline causing the issues rather than lingering condensation from the DICE session. I thought vaseline is nonconductive but maybe brushing all the way up to the 8-pin connector is problematic?

I kept the CPU in the socket while I was insulating it, I thought that should keep the vaseline out of the socket? I dried it overnight so it's I'm pretty sure it's the vaseline causing the issues rather than lingering condensation from the DICE session. I thought vaseline is nonconductive but maybe brushing all the way up to the 8-pin connector is problematic?

it is non conductive, ive never had a problem with it ever, i use vaso on my foam pads always and it does leak into the socket but never caused a boot loop prob ,and have filled the socket with vaso prior to the foam pads used now, from what ive found boot loop is cpu socket condensation , bad ram, gpu issue, or motherboard issue, im guessin theres condensation somewhere, maybe a cpu not seated and making contact properly, this sort of thing is a trial and error , put it in the sun for a week, with remove the battery and clr cmos jumper on then retry it is what id try ,

I thought it wasnt conductive for long time....lots of "died hardware" after being cleaned from vaseline or grease start working again.

It seems weird, but one time i read something on a datasheet of a dielettric grease that make me think about it seriously.....

From that time, i will never use again those stuff on my hardware.....

Im gonna search it.... Also i heard that Vince notice that and he doesnt use anymore vaselline as well....

Check on XA 1080ti thread, he said that on that vga vaselline insulation works fine.....

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Ultimate GTX 980 Ti Matrix Platinum Air/LN2 Overclocking Guide by Xtreme Addict

http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=169488

search for "vaseline"

NEVER USE VASELINE,GREASE, DIELETTRIC GREASE or oily stuff......cover your Hardware with something DRY!

remember that we buy the stuff....if you get free VGA of about 1500Dollar, u can try if Vaseline is ok or not.......if u buy them, u CANNOT try if.....

Edited by barbonenet

I thought it wasnt conductive for long time....lots of "died hardware" after being cleaned from vaseline or grease start working again.

It seems weird, but one time i read something on a datasheet of a dielettric grease that make me think about it seriously.....

From that time, i will never use again those stuff on my hardware.....

Im gonna search it.... Also i heard that Vince notice that and he doesnt use anymore vaselline as well....

Check on XA 1080ti thread, he said that on that vga vaselline insulation works fine.....

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Ultimate GTX 980 Ti Matrix Platinum Air/LN2 Overclocking Guide by Xtreme Addict

http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=169488

search for "vaseline"

NEVER USE VASELINE,GREASE, DIELETTRIC GREASE or oily stuff......cover your Hardware with something DRY!

remember that we buy the stuff....if you get free VGA of about 1500Dollar, u can try if Vaseline is ok or not.......if u buy them, u CANNOT try if.....

thx barbo , i read it, very much food for thought there, he also used acetone to clean it off, i thought acetone may have been a little harsh but obviously works fine so it looks like the vaseline residue could well be the problem hes having here with the 45T extreme, hoping he gets it sorted out