HWBOT Community Forums

VGA card flashed with a different bios - which model should we submit to ?

bolc

Hi all,

If we have a X model card and have flashed it as the successor (AMD has 7950/7970, which could be flashed as r9 280/280x, and for instance rx470 can be flashed as 570).
My guess is that their results should be submitted as the original card model number.
Of course, this will give discrepancies as validation links may tell this is Y card while we submitted as X card. The device ID can tell the difference in GPU-z I suppose, but this may cause the situation of too many reports by "unexperienced" (or troubled : D ) users, consuming Hwbot mods quite some time.

Can a moderator tell me/us more about this ?

Plus, would it be efficient to have a special box to flag, mentioning the original nmodel and the bios model, with a check box "identical" by default, but that one can modify if the bios is modified?

This was discussed here quickly as well for Vega 64 but haven t seen a moderator giving the "official" opinion

Thank you

Edited by bolc

• Crew

That's what this box is for

image.png.03692cedc1a746130c036e4dc7395442.png

If you've flashed an R9 290 with a 290x BIOS and unlocked CUs then you submit as an R9 290 and tick that box, if you want to add more information then leave a few lines in the comment box :)

When it comes to flashing an RX 470 to an RX 570 or 7970 to 280X that's a no go for me personally, not sure how others feel about it but there's nothing to be gained from a performance perspective and it just gives the impression that you are flashing the same card to submit in multiple benchmark rankings.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bilko said:

When it comes to flashing an RX 470 to an RX 570 or 7970 to 280X that's a no go for me personally, not sure how others feel about it but there's nothing to be gained from a performance perspective and it just gives the impression that you are flashing the same card to submit in multiple benchmark rankings.

I agree. Only reason to be doing that is so you can double dip points.

2 hours ago, Mr.Scott said:

I agree. Only reason to be doing that is so you can double dip points.

I have seen the box regarding unlocking, but indeed here nothing is unlocked.

I have submitted only to one model. I use the newer bios because the card came with it, first, and second the newer bios can give better options for lower Vcore, give higher frequencies by default, etc.

and I would be fine to post the picture of the sticker with model and sn numbers, but not sure everybody can (original fan or sticker may be missing) and  not sure everybody may want to do that (stolen sn for warranty or whatnot)

Edited by bolc

Well...I still subscribe to what I was told by @yosarianilives(in the thread linked above). Which effectively equates to it being a "non-unlock" BIOS mod. And, as such, scores should be submitted under the original hardware. I commented as having done so with my RX Vega to Vega FE BIOS Specviewperf 12 Creo subtest 11 score. I did that to let people know how a seemingly impossible score was achieved(you ARE NOT going to score that high with ANY RX Vega with an RX Vega BIOS, not even with LN2). I didn't reveal the entire secret(mainly having used the Radeon Pro drivers). But that's really something that should be inferred(why else would I flash a Vega FE BIOS?). And said BIOS is publicly available(and overclocking with the SoftPowerPlay mod is no big secret either, search and ye shall find). So it's a fair game. And no "double dipping points" was done(not that there's currently any hardware points for that bench anyway...but you get my drift).

Also...as far as GPU-Z...with older drivers you can force GPU-Z to show the card name as whatever card you want(via the INF). And with older/moddable BIOSes, you can insert whatever Device ID and/or Subvendor ID you want(plus just about any other thing that GPU-Z will show...if you're crafty enough). Which GPU-Z will incorrectly show too. So, for the most part, GPU-Z can't be trusted. Which is why you should comment about having done so when you submit scores under the original hardware.

Edited by MrGenius