HWBOT Community Forums

Gigabyte B650E Tachyon

unityofsaints

Wow this subforum is empty, only 7 total posts 1 year after launch and one of those is mine :( Anyway, let's have a thread for the Tachyon. Now that AGESA 1.0.0.7b and especially AGESA 1.0.0.7c are out, memory OC is flying on this thing. I am doing 8000 through all benches even with locked PMIC @ 1.43 VDD / VDDQ ? Maybe if we're lucky the likes of @sergmann will chime in with some XOC BIOSes, unfortunately the current retail ones like F8d are limited to 1.3 Vsoc which isn't enough to kill CB on LN2.

You need to have LN2 mode enabled and usually at least -40C temperature, but maybe that can be bypassed with the physical LN2 switch, at least I can on the Gene. You can freely go above the 1.3 limit once in windows though, even on the Tomahawk. Problem is booting to windows :D

Zentimings might not show the real vsoc, don't rely too much on it, especially in this edge case where it is "technically" not allowed. On asus it was still displaying 1.3, but in reallity it is higher. Not sure if always the case or it depends where you input the value in bios.

As for the Tachyon, perhaps it is better all 7 people that have the board to create a chat? :p It would be easier. I haven't seen a single bencher which has the board and is not sponsored/connected with Gigabyte. I finally bought a Gene and...there's almost no difference with the Tomahawk. GDM option is the most notable one.

PS: It was still flooring it down to 1.3 on the tomahawk and ambient temps, despite allowing me to enter and save a higher value in the AMD OC menu with LN2 mode enabled.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed

21 hours ago, I.nfraR.ed said:

You need to have LN2 mode enabled and usually at least -40C temperature, but maybe that can be bypassed with the physical LN2 switch, at least I can on the Gene. You can freely go above the 1.3 limit once in windows though, even on the Tomahawk. Problem is booting to windows :D

Zentimings might not show the real vsoc, don't rely too much on it, especially in this edge case where it is "technically" not allowed. On asus it was still displaying 1.3, but in reallity it is higher. Not sure if always the case or it depends where you input the value in bios.

As for the Tachyon, perhaps it is better all 7 people that have the board to create a chat? ? It would be easier. I haven't seen a single bencher which has the board and is not sponsored/connected with Gigabyte. I finally bought a Gene and...there's almost no difference with the Tomahawk. GDM option is the most notable one.

Does AM5 still have two software LN2 modes like AM4? That always confused me. The Tachyon doesn't have a physical switch btw.

I was only giving Zentimings as an example, obviously there are countless others like HWInfo. Also on the Tachyon you have a physical voltage readpoint for Vsoc so worst case scenario the true value can be read there.

Well, AMD is underbenched, nothing new there. The problem with chats is that they disappear once they are deleted or the people involved lose interest, at least with a forum it stays around kind of forever. I am very often trying to dig out info on old platforms and you would be surprised what you can and can't find depending on where it was posted.

The chat part was a bit of a joke, because I'm still a little bit "affected" as I was waiting for this board and it seems I would never be able to buy it. Not that there's much sense in doing so anyway, got a Gene instead.

There seems to be one LN2 mode menu in the bios. Gene has a LN2 jumper, but also not sure what it does apart from unlocking the LN2 profile in bios. Doesn't seem to automatically set any voltages alone, if you don't load the profile, but I need more time to test. I never understood the different LN2 modes on the B550 AM4 too.

High VSOC didn't help me before, no matter what I did, the 7950X I have was still coldbugged at around -110. For me, it seems to mostly help with UCLK. Haven't tested it with the Gene on LN2 yet, so I can't tell if there's any improvement in that area compared to my old board.

I will try to improve zentimings, as it doesn't detect the blck on boards with eCLK, but I don't promise anything.

PS: I've tried up to 1.55V vSOC which was the maximum on the Tomahawk. The CPU was doing full pot with 2nd CPU disabled, but not with both CCDs enabled.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed
  • Thanks 1

On 10/3/2023 at 3:10 AM, sergmann said:

In the last month I’ve used only retail bios versions. Let me try another one which can go higher with soc

it's not going to get rid of CB sergmann. This is a test bios with unlocked SOC  but as you can see......and at cookies request I locked it at 1.3 just to show it's not needed.

Honestly for 1/2 mode high vsoc doesn't do much. You only need high soc for 1/1 due to soc feeding uclk which is much higher 1/1.

8800 is easy at 1.3 soc if the imc is capable. 

You can see my soc voltage is set to 1.3 for this.  This is max boot to bios.....I've already lost sata at 109.45........I lose the vga over this point.

This is like 2200+/2200+ uclk/fclk

IMG_20230802_102922888.jpg

Here's another cpu on just air.....( temps do matter ) and this one will probably scale if I pulled it down to 21c like the one above.....

image.thumb.jpeg.0b41474c7eb7c86874669fd7330a0b53.jpeg

Edited by chew*
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, chew* said:

it's not going to get rid of CB sergmann. This is a test bios with unlocked SOC  but as you can see......and at cookies request I locked it at 1.3 just to show it's not needed.

Honestly for 1/2 mode high vsoc doesn't do much. You only need high soc for 1/1 due to soc feeding uclk which is much higher 1/1.

8800 is easy at 1.3 soc if the imc is capable. 

You can see my soc voltage is set to 1.3 for this.  This is max boot to bios.....I've already lost sata at 109.45........I lose the vga over this point.

This is like 2200+/2200+ uclk/fclk

IMG_20230802_102922888.jpg

Here's another cpu on just air.....( temps do matter ) and this one will probably scale if I pulled it down to 21c like the one above.....

image.thumb.jpeg.0b41474c7eb7c86874669fd7330a0b53.jpeg

Have also only tested with last retail and 1.3v was enough for 8k+ CL34 and only 1.43v on Mem. But just on Air. It’s on the time to start testing with LN2 after I got first places in y-cruncher with 8 and 6 cores back ?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/27/2023 at 5:35 AM, r1oN said:

External clock, in gigabyte bios is Async CPU/PCIe Clock. 

Whenever i enable it to OC my processor and i go beyond 1,43v on ram, system wont boot. It seems i have to choose between OC my memory to its fullest or my processor : /

anyone? :)