HWBOT Community Forums

Request: new score = new submission

I'll never stop trying to point out ways to make benching more open, transparent and honest.

If you don't like it.... tough shit.

Practical problem: an 8800GT score submitted with an Athlon 64 from 2007.... I could update that with an SB at 5.9GHz and then use rule loopholes to say I dont need FPS breakdown, or resolution showing in my screenshot because it was submitted in 2007. BS clearly, but a validation nightmare.

Edited by K404

I'll never stop trying to point out ways to make benching more open, transparent and honest.

Practical problem: an 8800GT score submitted with an Athlon 64 from 2007.... I could update that with an SB at 5.9GHz and then use rule loopholes to say I dont need FPS breakdown, or resolution showing in my screenshot because it was submitted in 2007. BS clearly, but a validation nightmare.

That would've been a valid point, but it's possible to check if the score was modified :)

No, but why edit a 3 year old score? We can see if someone edited it, who did it, but not what was changed.

Because it would help people cheat.

IMHO, a submission should be fixed in terms of score and hardware used

I cannot see a single good reason for being able to edit every field in a submission, any length of time after it was submitted

Because it would help people cheat.

IMHO, a submission should be fixed in terms of score and hardware used

I cannot see a single good reason for being able to edit every field in a submission, any length of time after it was submitted

CHEAT is a strong word in this case, unless you found a way to actually do it by editing an old score and get away with it (stealth mode isn't cheating no matter how you look at it).

A good reason to allow editing: typos, if people can't edit their own subs, then WE have to do it instead => less time for more important things related to HWBot.

A better solution to your problem would be to revive the old notifications. Then you can see if a score is beaten even if some sub is updated with a new score.

I mentioned this earlier! Edit old scores, where new rules dont apply. Using old validation requirements to get around needing to follow new rules on submission, is cheating by definition

You agreed with the idea on page 1, have you changed your mind?

Edited by K404

I mentioned this earlier! Edit old scores, where new rules dont apply. Using old validation requirements to get around needing to follow new rules on submission, is cheating by definition

You agreed with the idea on page 1, have you changed your mind?

I didn't realize you thought about that when I quoted your post.

The only way to actually get away with this is to use gear from the time the submission was made in the first place, if the score is from 2007 and you update it with a gulftown screenshot, it WILL be blocked if there are no subtests:p

It should be possible to add some code that makes all pre-2008 scores uneditable... but then we need coding power, which we don't have atm:p

Sorry...in all seriousness I agree. I'd say leave all fields editable except for the score field. No reason to leave that editable. The more serious issue would be people exploiting it to sneak in straight up cheated scores. Much more likely to escape scrutiny if they upload a legitimate score, then "update" it to one 500-1000 pts higher, along with a photoshopped screenshot.

Though you'll never stop me from using backups :P

The flip-side of that is that if you go back and edit an old result to add in your e.g....PSU details, a mod will see the submission has been modified, then block a legitimate-for-the-time submission.

Lets be honest, it's much simpler to just not allow submission editing. If a user realises the score or details are wrong after submitting.... resubmit properly and delete the wrong one.