HWBOT Community Forums

The official LANparty NFII Ultra B motherboard discussion thread.

Massman

• Crew
Yes, high bus is needed but not available on every CPU. The old ones don't like high FSB in means of stable frequency.

yep, you're right :)

from my tests with a lot of athlons/durons it can confirm that.

i encountered those "fsb walls" on older athlon/duron cpus with t-bird, morgan, spitfire-cores.

but the athlon xps already have almost no problem with 200+

I already figured you did, by looking at some of your entries. You truly are a "hardware king".:)

I have a fair amount myself.:D

I know you don't see eye to eye with me, but I can't find the VDD mod anywhere :( Please share it with me? All the posts I find at XS, etc, lead to the defunct motherboardfaqs

I know you don't see eye to eye with me, but I can't find the VDD mod anywhere :( Please share it with me? All the posts I find at XS, etc, lead to the defunct motherboardfaqs

We don't have to see eye to eye to help each other. You're very good at what you do, I'm fairly good at what I do. I'll post up that mod in a minute for you.:)

EDIT- Here you go.

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=106&pgno=0

Edited by Mr.Scott

+1 for that, respect also goes a long way :)

And thanks, I wonder if this will be one of the freak boards that does 285MHz+ with the mod and cold :D The 265MHz was on air, and as it was an evening in July, which is our winter, I'd say ambient temperatures were around 10'c.

OH SNAP, maybe I should post the validation :Dhttp://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=391327

• Crew
i encountered those "fsb walls" on older athlon/duron cpus with t-bird, morgan, spitfire-cores.

but the athlon xps already have almost no problem with 200+

It's not a wall - I would say FSB fear because it becomes less stable and sometimes you need a specific method of overclocking these. And the FSB wall is really a wall - it won't work if you push +1MHz above. So you say the Palomino is a good one too, I didn't have much experience with them.

Did you see an interesting behavior when a CPU is not stress instable, but rather stess-off instable? :) when you go over a certain frequency, it can go all the way on Superpi 1M (or wPrime32, Pifast) but will freeze when it's complete?

Cheers for that! I will do it early in the new year and start going through some of these http://www.oj0.co.za/cpus :)
I wanna see you doing this with the AN7 and the Mendocino on top of that one http://www.oj0.co.za/cpus/cpus.jpg :-P

Looks like all the CPU's in the right stack on that foto are s370. And AMD in the left one.

• Crew
It's not a wall - I would say FSB fear because it becomes less stable and sometimes you need a specific method of overclocking these. And the FSB wall is really a wall - it won't work if you push +1MHz above. So you say the Palomino is a good one too, I didn't have much experience with them.

Did you see an interesting behavior when a CPU is not stress instable, but rather stess-off instable? :) when you go over a certain frequency, it can go all the way on Superpi 1M (or wPrime32, Pifast) but will freeze when it's complete?

yeah fsb fear would be the right word here. :D

jep, i also have sometimes problems with freezing after the bench is complete.

very weird.

• Crew
Does Epox still exist, by the way?
They did end up. But they were brought the way Abit was in Abit universal. And they still produce boards under SuPox brand.

I've got one for tests, going to make an article (it's a P43 combo DDR2/3) and compare to Asrock's P43 Combo. Also got a E6500K being picked up from 4 CPU's. If interested, I could write an issue in English too.

Note that no CPU is in two pictures
Poor guy, I've got much more :P

*looking to kill smb for a camera* :D

I've got one for tests, going to make an article (it's a P43 combo DDR2/3) and compare to Asrock's P43 Combo. Also got a E6500K being picked up from 4 CPU's. If interested, I could write an issue in English too.

I've done similar articles already:

- Tweaking the fastest AGP Based System - Part 1

- MSI P45-8D Memory Lover Motherboard Review (OC section)

I hope you don't have the same issues like I experiences when reviewing that MSI combo board. Memory overclocking was a bitch.

• Crew

In this case the interest is because it's SuPox (formely Epox) and yes, I know that combo boards are nasty bitches at least in memory overclocking and often - in speed. Sometimes it works well with one type. Not better. And MSI+775 is a very complicated case :D

So, the Asrock is only for comparision (same chipset, a combo too).

And yeah - it's not the fastest AGP system, the one you linked at ;)