HWBOT Community Forums

AMD 7xxx series & WinXP-64 = No Crossfire?

Kithylin

So I have two Radeon HD 7770's, and I'm trying to run WinXP x64... but upon doing so, I've installed the latest 12.6 and 12.2 drivers, but I haven't tried anything older yet.

In both driver versions, the CCC does not list any CrossFireX option anywhere inside of it with two HD 7770's installed.

Does AMD not support CrossFireX in WindowsXP any longer?

CrossFire works perfectly in Win7 x64 on the exact same hardware (in a different partition), fyi, so it's not the hardware, it's the software.

Why I want to use XP-64 is not the issue of this thread. I'm trying to figure out how to make crossfire work in XP, not why, and not discussing the pro's or con's of using XP vs whatever.

So.. unless you have something constructive to add about getting crossfire with modern cards to work in XP, please don't post.

One thing I have't tried yet that I just thought of and might try is using XP 32 instead of 64, if it will mean getting crossfire support.

Why I want to use XP-64 is not the issue of this thread. I'm trying to figure out how to make crossfire work in XP, not why, and not discussing the pro's or con's of using XP vs whatever.

So.. unless you have something constructive to add about getting crossfire with modern cards to work in XP, please don't post.

One thing I have't tried yet that I just thought of and might try is using XP 32 instead of 64, if it will mean getting crossfire support.

I only asked why. Your politeness was very kind. Don't expect mine the next time. ;)

Edited by Mr.Scott

I only asked why. Your politeness was very kind. Don't expect mine the next time. ;)

I know I sounded rude and I'm sorry for that, but I know every time I post threads like this, lots of people come up trying to say non-helpful things about why I'm using XP still and I was trying to curve that

No 7-series Crossfire in XP :(

There was some discussion of a hack, but I have no idea if it was done.

So... AMD is offically dropping support for crossfire in XP starting with the 7xxx series? I thought maybe my software was not installed correctly or it was something wrong with my configuration.....

11.9 mod. Let me know if it does(not) work.

Downloading now, I'll get to testing it when done and report back in a little while, takes time to clean out all the AMD stuff in XP-64 side of my other computer and do a clean install.

EDIT: Oh also, is this for XP-64 or XP-32?

I have no 7-series cards any more :(

Kithylin ....can you test it :D

Working on it!

No problem, I can still test for XP 32 vs 64, it's just I have 64 installed already. I'd have to throw in an IDE drive and stick XP-32 on it.... and probably slipstream x58 & Intel P45 drivers into a 32-bit disc.... I could have it done tonight, probably 4-5 hours.

Edited by Kithylin

Well, after some delays IRL (Dinner, being forced to watch a TV show I didn't want to because "You don't socialize enough" ..... I have XP-32 installed on a spare hard drive, and I got the intel chipset drivers installed, and all versions of dot-net installed (ATI drivers usually require dot-net) and I'm attempting to install your modified package and not having much success...

I found an installer under "11.9 mod\Packages\Drivers\Display\XP_INF" and it says it needs the Catalyst install manager, so I found that under 11.9 "11.9 mod\Packages\Apps\CIM\Win32", installed that, then tried the installer under "11.9 mod\Packages\Drivers\Display\XP_INF" again, and I get this: http://i.imgur.com/6VS85.jpg Also, none of the installers under "11.9 mod\Bin\" will actually do anything.

Am I doing something wrong?

ALSO I'm digging through the INF file and I don't see any clear-text matches for "HD 7770" I don't think this driver package originally supported the HD 7770. I see other HD 7xxx series in here, but.. not the 7770 I don't think. I tried to force-load the drivers through device manager, and both come up with "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" even after a reboot.

Edited by Kithylin