HWBOT Community Forums

Is getting a water chiller worth it?

I finally have enough to buy a 395W water chiller and everything to be able to run it on my AMD setups(no point on my 3960X those don't scale with cold from what I've seen). However since there isn't a whole lot of info about water chillers out there I was wondering if it wouldn't just be better for me to dump the same amount into buying LN2. Of course if it's possible to run a water chiller full tilt(0C°) 24/7 then I'll get the chiller but if it's only useful for short bench sessions I'd rather go with LN2/more parts.

Guest TheMadDutchDude

A chiller is only really for pretesting, and even then I'd buy a phase over a chiller as they're about the same price or even less in some cases. I have a phase because it was cheap and because it allows me to pretest certain things better than if I were on air or water.

I'd invest in a phase if that's what you want to do, and get LN2 for those big runs. It wasn't until recently that I got my own dewar and LN2 at home, and I will never go back to dry ice or purely phase benching. It may even be worthwhile for you to try to pick up a dewar for LN2 storage instead. Either that, or the phase, would be my suggestion.

A chiller is only really for pretesting, and even then I'd buy a phase over a chiller as they're about the same price or even less in some cases. I have a phase because it was cheap and because it allows me to pretest certain things better than if I were on air or water.

I'd invest in a phase if that's what you want to do, and get LN2 for those big runs. It wasn't until recently that I got my own dewar and LN2 at home, and I will never go back to dry ice or purely phase benching. It may even be worthwhile for you to try to pick up a dewar for LN2 storage instead. Either that, or the phase, would be my suggestion.

phase change is a pain to find in my country and I can get the chiller for 500$. I would get a dewar but I'm not sure what would be a good size. The first time I used LN2 I was using a rented 35L dewar and it lasted me 2 sessions of several hours but I was using a 65W Athlon 370K and I'd like to move onto bigger chips like the FX series and the bigger Athlons. I'm considering a 14L Dewar that looks to be reasonably portable(I don't have a car) for 900$ after VAT but 'm not sure if it's big enough for 3-4 hour single CPU/single GPU bench sessions.

Guest TheMadDutchDude

You need to keep your eye on eBay. I picked up two 50L dewars for £120 (about 150 euros). One of them is without fault and the other is untested, but it will get filled in March, and I am not expecting any issues with it.

As for the phase, you may need to look at a prebuilt one from some of the builders. They are expensive to buy from a builder though. I got mine, again from eBay, for £100.

Edited by TheMadDutchDude

Man you got some good deals there! UK is big and you got everything there :) , got the same problem like op, i know of only 2 people in my country that uses ln2 or caskade and I dont even know them in person :).

For op i would say chiller is no good for benching, maybe for 24/7 use, i would buy single stage for sure, for 500$ you will find one here on hwbot just wait and make an ad.

first of all they are all "phase change " : chillers , SS , autocascade , cascade...

second: if you know bench , you will bench very good on chiller ( ofcourse good chiller..with a large compressor aswell and R507 refrigerant gas) , many vga´s will response very good at lower temp like 0 -5 degrees load , will be able to bench vga´s in 2way , 3 way and 4 way and ofcourse the cpu in same loop as wished! , also the loop configuration can include 1 or more pump´s , for better flow and ofcourse better load temp´s.

also a SS will be a better choice if you wanted push more the cpu.

PS: i speak about a custom waterchiller ..no hailea , and bla bla bla stuff like this!

Edited by nachtfalke

me too sometimes feel not really happy with only single ss - i need to make choice what to put under ss and what will be air/water cooled. Chiller is more flexible but more expensive and requires much more service. And it must be really powerful. So, if i had enough money i would choose:

1. 2 ss - one for cpu, second for gpu

2. several waterblocks/pumps and powerful chiller

3. one ss

4. week chiller

i think a 500 like this is enough:

http://www.aquatuning.at/gebrauchte-ware/17430/b-ware-durchlaufkuehler-hailea-ultra-titan-1500-hc500790watt-kaelteleistung?c=15338

they have new ones + used ones but look out the other cheaper model is leaking???

this is tested for 5 days good condition.if ya need help for german to english shoot me pm.

boght the same used from them and i am happy with it since 5 years.

hassle free to 4°. hardest i cooled was xeon 5650+3x gtx280-no prob holding 4°

and bartx is selling one:

http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=85073

Edited by basco