HWBOT Community Forums

Gigabyte OC Socket

Lays

Does anyone know what VL1/VL2/VL3/VL4/VL5/VL6 do?

Could you possibly explain if possible?

I can't find any tutorials or guides or explanations, I found one video but it's in Italian and I couldn't understand exactly what he was doing.

Trying to learn how my new X99 Board works with those voltages I listed above, I can figure out the rest of everything as I remember most of the things from previous overclocking adventures. (z97 & X99)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

• Crew

Most important one is VL6 is the uncore voltage... you have to check how high your CPU is able to booth with it set at a certain manual value. I could do with AUTO around 4300-4500 uncore depending on CPU.

If you set it too high the system will give Post code 60 and than shut down, lower it than... If you find a good value you can leave it there for benching...

Make sure you save plenty of profiles !

VL1, VL2 don't touch, VL3 if you want to try it (might help for CB, depends from CPU) has to be higher than VL6, because VL6 overrides VL3 normally, VL4 and VL5 - 1.45-1.55 (I use mostly 1.5v, it's needed for high memories), VL6 start from 1.45 to get high uncore.

Most important one is VL6 is the uncore voltage... you have to check how high your CPU is able to booth with it set at a certain manual value. I could do with AUTO around 4300-4500 uncore depending on CPU.

If you set it too high the system will give Post code 60 and than shut down, lower it than... If you find a good value you can leave it there for benching...

Make sure you save plenty of profiles !

Do I need to set ring voltage then still, or leave it at auto and let VL6 override it? (If that is indeed the uncore voltage?)

How far can I push VL6? I assume there's a point where I'll see diminishing returns? I see some people with 5820k's hitting 4.6 on the cache, and I'm already beating them in cinebench, or very close to them.

I was only running 4750 on the core and 4120 on the cache, so I'm sure if I can bump up that cache a bit and tighten my timings I'll be able to get 1450-1500 CB score. (Already getting 1432)

I also had a question about my RAM, enabling XMP changes my BCLK to 125, and I'm fairly sure I can hit 4.8 ghz with the voltage I was doing 4.75 with, I changed my BCLK to 100 and tried changing memory multiplier to 30 but then can't boot, do I need to mess around with VL4 and VL5 to get it to work?

Edited by Lays

VL4 and VL5 is helping OCing memories, depends from CPU

VL6 overrides VL3! Cache Voltage is different thing, you have to tune it additionally like Vcore ;) Most cpus don't need more than 1.4-1.45v cache

VL6 - you have to set 1.45v to have any effect. Some cpus can do even 1.55v, but most will not boot with higher than 1.5v.

VL4 and VL5 is helping OCing memories, depends from CPU

VL6 overrides VL3! Cache Voltage is different thing, you have to tune it additionally like Vcore ;) Most cpus don't need more than 1.4-1.45v cache

VL6 - you have to set 1.45v to have any effect. Some cpus can do even 1.55v, but most will not boot with higher than 1.5v.

I still use CPU ring voltage then correct?

IE: VL6 to 1.45-1.5v, then adjust Ring voltage accordingly for stability?

Also, thank you very much for helping me out. I appreciate it!

Edited by Lays

I tried everything I could think of and 90% of what you told me to, and I just can't get the cache past 4.2, I don't understand if I'm doing something wrong, or what.

strange because in that board my cpu does at least 4.37 uncore with 1.3 ring and stock vl volts. maybe u just grabbed a weak one. what does the mobo do with higher uncore than 4.125 ? reboots at A3 ?

VL6 is the Interconnect Bus voltage and connects both ring bus inside the CPU. The Ring voltage is the voltage of the ring itself. Those are indipendant voltages and not related to eachother. You need both high to push the cache/ring voltage.

Ofc it also depends on your CPU. Some do high ring/cache clocks and some won't be able to do it.

strange because in that board my cpu does at least 4.37 uncore with 1.3 ring and stock vl volts. maybe u just grabbed a weak one. what does the mobo do with higher uncore than 4.125 ? reboots at A3 ?

OK So VL6 1.45v, ring at 1.325v I can boot at 4.25 cache & 4.5 on the CPU with 1.275v and 1.9v vccin.

Can boot into windows with ring at 1.3 for 4.25 cache, but it crashes shortly after.

I left VL3 and VL4 at auto, on the off chance that's whats messing with everything.

I passed XTU with 1820 marks, but shortly after it crashed before I could do anything else. I'll keep tuning maybe I can get it, but IDK I spent like 4 hours yesterday messing with it and couldn't get past 4.25.

Edited by Lays

OK So VL6 1.45v, ring at 1.325v I can boot at 4.25 cache & 4.5 on the CPU with 1.275v and 1.9v vccin.

Can boot into windows with ring at 1.3 for 4.25 cache, but it crashes shortly after.

I left VL3 and VL4 at auto, on the off chance that's whats messing with everything.

I passed XTU with 1820 marks, but shortly after it crashed before I could do anything else. I'll keep tuning maybe I can get it, but IDK I spent like 4 hours yesterday messing with it and couldn't get past 4.25.

maybe your cpu has a slightly worse imc than mine. mine needs 1.3v ring and 1.45v vl6 to reach 4.37 stable. 4.5 is the max on air but not that stable.

maybe your cpu has a slightly worse imc than mine. mine needs 1.3v ring and 1.45v vl6 to reach 4.37 stable. 4.5 is the max on air but not that stable.

I've now got it running XTU benchmarks at 4.75 on the core at 1.92 vccin, 1.45vcore, and 4.38 cache at 1.35 vring and 1.48 VL6.

I left VL4/VL3 on AUTO, and it seems to be running stable now.

Also running ram at 13-14-14-17 290 TRFC @ 3000 mhz. (Stock is 15-15-15-35 3000 TRFC 391)

I cap at 4.0 no matter what i do. second chip with this limit. the first chip couldn't even handle bclk over 100 (literally 101 and no boot). I've tried all suggestions above. If i leave everything at auto and my mem on profile 1(3000mhz w/1.25 bclk multiplier), i can get my 5930 up to 4.75ghz, but i'm capped at the resulting 125 bclk and 4ghz uncore. Even 4.001 uncore results in no boot/freezes.

I cap at 4.0 no matter what i do. second chip with this limit. the first chip couldn't even handle bclk over 100 (literally 101 and no boot). I've tried all suggestions above. If i leave everything at auto and my mem on profile 1(3000mhz w/1.25 bclk multiplier), i can get my 5930 up to 4.75ghz, but i'm capped at the resulting 125 bclk and 4ghz uncore. Even 4.001 uncore results in no boot/freezes.

Yeah I'm in the process of returning all the x99 stuff I bought, just going to find some used z97 stuff for cheap and buy a 980 TI Classified when it's released.

I got like 100 HWBOT points using z97 and after return fees I'll only lose $40, IMO worth it in the end.

• 4 years later...