HWBOT Community Forums

Prevent GTX 580 Lightning from Throttling?

Using 275.33 and 355.60 the GPU will throttle when I go above ~1050 GPU core on water. Load temperatures are staying below 40°C. I've testing with just the voltages applied and a lower clock and at that point it's fine. However, when trying higher than 1050, it will get stuck at 405MHz switching from 2D to 3D clocks.

Voltage is about 1.325V on the core. I'm also using NVidia PowerMizer Manager and have disabled the low power states.

Any ideas?

I don't think it's part of the problem, but why those drivers in particular? :)

The power draw is affected by MHz, so testing power-states at lower MHz doesn't *really* tell you anything.

Is the card OCP modded?

Are you using Thermspy?

I have tested a few Fermi-5 cards that "lost interest" around 1050-1075MHz, might just be the warm limit of the core....

Have you tried backing off the GDDR MHz and/or reducing vGDDR? (Memory controller affects total core current draw, so it can help build up a better picture of where the problem is coming from)

I can't remember... can Nibitor etc adjust idle clocks? If you can adjust the idle state to something much higher, it makes the jump easier for the card to handle.

from tpu-review:

MSI's GTX 580 Lightning gains very well with voltage increase up to around 1.25 V at which point it seems to hit a wall and increasing voltage required a reduction in clock speeds to be stable.

from massman:

- Short ER1091 for OCP per channel

- Short ER1059 for OCP overall

from xtremesystems:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?273369-MSI-N580GTX-Lightning-OCP-Mod

and from ocn:

http://www.overclock.net/t/623325/ocns-vmod-squads-volt-mod-essentials

search for lightning below

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Guest k.pisti

Why so much voltage for those "low" clocks? :) They scale incredibly well with cold, adding too much voltage on ambient makes them produce more heat, thus lower clocks. Or is this just a pretest?

My 580 classy (ikr it has a "590" core on it, not a regular 580, can't recall specific names now, but) runs easy 1.250V all 3D stable at 1010MHz with stock cooler at 100%. With a gpu only block it runs over 1130MHz. No chiller used so far, 22-26C room temps.

I have not seen any 580 doing 1130+ mhz on ambient water, what ASIC have your card?

this is the highest I could get mine to on ambient water with ek universal, 1101mhz. 1130mhz would be pretty rare but should be possible.

http://hwbot.org/submission/2900420_strong_island_1_3dmark_vantage___performance_geforce_gtx_580_41951_marks

Edited by Strong Island

Guest k.pisti
I have not seen any 580 doing 1130+ mhz on ambient water, what ASIC have your card?

Will tell you in some days, if that's okay! :) But you can see from strongs island's message, others achieved this too!

this is the highest I could get mine to on ambient water with ek universal, 1101mhz. 1130mhz would be pretty rare but should be possible.

http://hwbot.org/submission/2900420_strong_island_1_3dmark_vantage___performance_geforce_gtx_580_41951_marks

Nice run dude, I used EK Universal too. What was your GPU voltage? :)

Will tell you in some days, if that's okay! :) But you can see from strongs island's message, others achieved this too!

Nice run dude, I used EK Universal too. What was your GPU voltage? :)

I think it was around 1.425v, it was awhile ago though so it's hard to remember exactly. Going to try on cold soon, hoping it's a nice card. I'm not saying I have actually seen 1130+ but I would imagine there are a lot of cards faster than mine, also my temps were pretty warm, usually would exceed 50c, at 30c loaded it would probably be possible for my card.

Edited by Strong Island