HWBOT Community Forums

Dewar safety tips

Casanova

Hi everyone!

I'm going to get my first dewar soon (probably a new one, with warranty, about 20lt capacity) but since it will be stored inside my house (home office), i want to know from experienced guys here if there is any tips about pressure/valve problems (is it going to explode?! LOL ;) ), properly storage, how much ln2 do i need to keep in it for future refill etc...?

Thanks in advance :)

Guest barbonenet
Hi everyone!

I'm going to get my first dewar soon (probably a new one, with warranty, about 20lt capacity) but since it will be stored inside my house (home office), i want to know from experienced guys here if there is any tips about pressure/valve problems (is it going to explode?! LOL ;) ), properly storage, how much ln2 do i need to keep in it for future refill etc...?

Thanks in advance :)

take 35l, or u will regret !

Mine is pressurized and is kept indoors in spare bedroom, it has a relief valve that is one way and opens when pressure is over 5 psi. It also has a cable connecting to the dewar handle in case of failure, the top is just a compressed rubber stopper and will pop off way before there's enough pressure to pop the dewar itself. Very convenient but needs to sit a day before pressure is built up enough to pour, but if I'm looking to use right away I just ditch the top and pour by tipping. Mine also has a gauge to show the psi and the valve can be pulled out a bit to relieve pressure or removing the top

958Q2KK.jpg

qAyq96x.jpg

Mine is pressurized and is kept indoors in spare bedroom, it has a relief valve that is one way and opens when pressure is over 5 psi. It also has a cable connecting to the dewar handle in case of failure, the top is just a compressed rubber stopper and will pop off way before there's enough pressure to pop the dewar itself. Very convenient but needs to sit a day before pressure is built up enough to pour, but if I'm looking to use right away I just ditch the top and pour by tipping. Mine also has a gauge to show the psi and the valve can be pulled out a bit to relieve pressure or removing the top

958Q2KK.jpg

qAyq96x.jpg

Thanks everyone for the tips.

What is your dewar model? I didn't get this: "It also has a cable connecting to the dewar handle in case of failure.."

How does it work?

^if it for some reason was to fail and shoot the top off it wouldnt get lodged in his ceiling and would be retained by the handle.

I have 3x30L dewars and 1x50L with withdrawal device. The 30's maybe lose 1/4 of a liter a day, the 50 loses about half a liter a day.

If I could do it again I would have all 30L dewars. you can pour them off the floor or set them on top of a chair to pour them once they are half empty. they just lose a lot less than the 50L with top does.

Edited by Splave