HWBOT Community Forums

This is ridiculous!

ThePromisedLAN

To be fair it'd be great to see an AM1 competition. Could even provide a mix of 2D and 3D.

It would be great to have an AM1 competition as I had quite a bit of fun benching AM1 Vantage and it's very tweakable as the memory speed and timings make a huge difference not to mention base clock

(says the guy who hasn't got round to voltmodding his 710 yet...)

ww0mQ11.jpg

I'm on lunch break so I'll respond to more people when I have a chance later. For now though you are still comparing apples to oranges. This comp is basically doing a core to core performance, but how they are calculating it is giving hyper threading an advantage. Look at 6700k and 6600k single core performance and it's really close, close enough to the point that a highly overclocked 6600k is at a disadvantage compared to a stock 6700k, which really makes no sense.

That's no different to the 6600k having newer AVX instructions the 4690k lacks though. Except it's not a 4690k that you own.

I'm on lunch break so I'll respond to more people when I have a chance later. For now though you are still comparing apples to oranges. This comp is basically doing a core to core performance, but how they are calculating it is giving hyper threading an advantage. Look at 6700k and 6600k single core performance and it's really close, close enough to the point that a highly overclocked 6600k is at a disadvantage compared to a stock 6700k, which really makes no sense.

Hyper threading isn't the only thing that makes an i7 better as Intel have to do something to differ their product lines such as improving IPC which both hyper threading and more cache do

the whole Idea behind the divided by core thing is to actually make it more competitive for those with an i3 and unlocked bios because they still have hyper threading in which is cheaper than a i5 and in XTU the cheapest socked i3 likely does better per core than a i5

anyway I've offered what I think is the only possible solution which is ban the use of HTT

the whole Idea behind the divided by core thing is to actually make it more competitive for those with an i3 and unlocked bios because they still have hyper threading in which is cheaper than a i5 and in XTU the cheapest socked i3 likely does better per core than a i5

If you take a skylake i3 to 103mhz+ base clock it disables some power management thing which which is needed to activate the avx part and XTU scores fall off a cliff, that's why there's a massive 742 club.

What core divisors do succeed in is stopping people from winning by spending $2000 on X99.

If you take a skylake i3 to 103mhz+ base clock it disables some power management thing which which is needed to activate the avx part and XTU scores fall off a cliff, that's why there's a massive 742 club.

What core divisors do succeed in is stopping people from winning by spending $2000 on X99.

Forgive me I forgot about avx but for most other benches it still applies

Attitude aside, I agree with OP. I have run an overclocking competition before and a rule was that i7 users had to disable HT. There weren't any i3 users, but had there been a few I could have taken it a step further and said i5 and i7 users also have to disable two cores.

What's the point in dividing scores by core count to even the playing field if you're going to allow something that gives one group of users a massive advantage? Why even the playing field at all?

• Administrators

MSI and Hwbot agreed on core division to prevent 1700 euro Broadwell e dominate the XTU stage, stage 2 is hwbotprime and stage 3 is geekbench multi core full out with core division as well which gives another playing field again if you know which cpus can do best at this. I haven´t seen a more balanced competition by a vendor for a long time and I am seriously angry about people who see a small part of the picture and complain. We talk about a competition that gives prizes of value of around 2k euro even for third placed guy which you can do very good with an 1151 i3 cpu and people talk about fairness and even playing field? This is what is truely ridiculous

Edited by websmile

stage 2 is hwbotprime and stage 3 is geekbench multi core full out with core division as well which gives another playing field again if you know which cpus can do best at this.

Ooh, I'd totally forgotten about that, that's a damn good point. Not sure about geekbench but I can think of a few CPUs that would easily beat a 6700k in hwbot prime per-core for a pittance. Now I'm tempted to enter even though I doubt I'll even be able to submit for XTU...

This scoring system is looking worse and worse the more I look at it. A 6700k running at STOCK speeds is beating out my 6600k that is at 4.9GHz. The fact that they are ignoring hyper threading and dividing scores by the amount of physical cores is screwing over some processors. I understand it is hard to factor in hyper threading, but if you are willing to add a system to even the playing field than it should actually even the playing field rather than send every 6700k to the top scores without them even trying. Im pretty sure all but one or two 6700k processors are in the top 15, with the entire top 10 being 6700k processors. That is just messed up, and it needs to change.

I think you are looking at this all wrong, which is understandable because you are a newb. If you break the ambient comp down it is very possible to win the entire thing with an i3 and only subbing in 2 of 3 stages. They actually did a good job when taking everything into consideration, this would have been a dream comp when I was an Ambient OC'r not long ago. Maybe you bought hardware that was too expensive for this contest. :P