HWBOT Community Forums

E8400 Binning question

Masterchief79

Hey guys,

what clocks would an E8400 E0 need to do to be considered bench-worthy? I have two new ones, and the first one I tested looks alright but I don't really have any measurements to base this on. I did bench two other ones some time ago but didn't keep any binning data.

If they are good CPUs, I might get DICE one weekend and bench them properly. This was a pretest done at 1,45V for maximum clocks and FSB on my REX. Zalman air cooler at room temperature mounted with gravity and a book on top. Thus, the CPU got very hot at 1,5V+ which was the limiting factor in clocks I guess (80°C in Super Pi) - addind voltages didn't help either and I know the board can do more. The screenshots I attached show two results, wPrime also stable at both settings.

Would be great if you help me to sort this in.

I'm not the world's biggest expert on binning E8xxx but on CPUs that I buy I usually check two things:

- if it can suicide 640-650 FSB on air with 1.40 VTT

- if it can Linpack 4.5GHz at 1.30/1.35/1.40V (E8600/E8500/E8400) or less with a Megahalems.

A positive answer to both these questions makes the CPU cold-worthy in my book.

Thanks, gonna check the voltage necessary for 4.5GHz. For stability, I'm just gonna use wPrime 1024M though, should be enough imo. Right now, it's running 4.5GHz 1,284V. I check back later and update you guys if 1024M did run successfully.

Edit: Here's the screenshot. Note that this is not the lowest voltage possible, it was simply the first setting I tried.

For FSB however, I don't think my board can handle more than 635 or so. Gonna try, but even if I use a PCI graphics card and overclocking the PCI-E bus to like 130MHz and stuff like that, I've never gotten it over 635. Not a 100% sure it wasn't the CPUs fault so I guess with this one my board gets another chance ;)

Edited by Masterchief79

That's similar to my chip. 5GHz were possible at 1,45V as long as I didn't bench anything. This thing does have great clock for vCore scaling though. I'm gonna post a screenshot in a few minutes hopefully with another successful wPrime run.

It did actually complete, this is pretty much as low as I can get the voltage. I guess this means good CPU? :) Btw, still room temperature, for some reason HWMonitor on the above screenshot reads the temps wrong. This is regular 20°C room with anything between 50 and 70°C CPU temp (can't get proper reading).

Edited by Masterchief79

If You find some high leakage cpus thtat can't go so high with air, You should give them a chance with cold I think. I have 2 C2d can do 1.3 - 1.32 @ 4500 on air but they are the opposite of each other above. The E8400 is a low leakage, can do easy 5 ghz or a little more even with air. The E8600 is a glowing one. It's very hot at 4500 mhz even and doesn't stand being hot very well. It's quite poor on air. But if You start to lower temps You can see little miracle. I've tested only on ss yet but It's my very best wolfdale around -20 !

Alpi`s Geekbench3 - Multi Core score: 5732 points with a Core 2 Duo E8600

Alpi`s CPU Frequency score: 5647.81 mhz with a Core 2 Duo E8600

491982_snaphsot0003.png