HWBOT Community Forums

BSEL and VID mods for old rusty Socket P CPUs (Intel X9100)

TiN

Hey folks,

Not sure if there are anyone old enough here left to remember those days with Socket P/479 an Merom CPUs, but here's the deal:

I have old obscure motherboard based off GM965 chipset, with Core T7500 CPU in it. All works fine, but I want more magic pixies, so I got myself X9100 CPU.

However X9100 is FSB1066 processor, so I'd need to trick it into 800MHz to work, I'd assume. I don't have CPU yet, but pretty sure it will not work directly w/o mods.

Anybody have infos/guides left on dusty harddrive somewhere, covering BSEL/VID mods?

• Like 1

• Crew

Hello, old friend! Long time no see. I've got an article covering BSEL mods here: https://overclockers.ru/blog/antinomy/show/10241/Razgon_Intel_Xeon_Pentium_M_Celeron_M_Core_Mobile

But there's only Socket M which is a bit different. Though gives a remind how it works in general. As for your case, I doubt it will work. GM965 had official support up to 200MHz. The problem here is the clockgen. Most likely it has straps only up to 200MHz but might be able to clock higher with software. I really doubt the clockgen has a 266 strap support but you could try to find a datasheet and check it out.

• Like 3

As far as I know GM965 only supports 200Mhz only really way to find out if it will support 266mhz would be to stick the CPU in and see how it goes.

If you BSEL the processor for 200mhz bus 200x11=2200mhz  not faster than what you got maybe a better option would be a X9000 processor 200x14=2800mhz and it has the 6Mb L2 cache.

P.S. I am a big fan Tin a silent lurker on Xdevs and KPC☺️

• Like 1

• Crew

So you're upgrading logic analyzers now? Nice to know.

The bigger problem here is not the FSB (either the board supports 266 and it'll use it or if it doesn't, it should boot at 200. Mod only needed if it'll boot lower than 200 FSB), but the Penryn core. Your T7500 is Merom so an upgrade to X9100 requires Penryn support from MoBo. It might boot if unsupported but sometimes it won't.

DFI with Award didn't boot without supported BIOS version, Asus with AMI BIOS did work.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Good evening, I know I'm more than 4 years late but I have a very dear laptop with GM965 chipset and the nostalgia of remembering my days on my old laptop has hit me hard so I've decided to give it some love by updating the possible components So I came across this post.

So I'm very interested in installing the X9100 on my beloved laptop, however looking for information about the BSEL mod that you applied I haven't found something exact as if it exists for socket 775 or 771 (And I even see that there are step-by-step videos on the internet), I have looked at the Russian forum that [Antinomy] provides but in my ignorance about exactly what points to join because I get confused in the red and black dots I do not quite understand the scheme,

So [Tin] it is possible that you provide me with a scheme of what points I should join or edit this image with paint indicating which points to join to be able to set it at 800 and give life to my old laptop?, thanks.

https://st.overclockers.ru/legacy/v1/116845.png

• Crew
5 hours ago, zeratulbla said:

it is possible that you provide me with a scheme of what points I should join or edit this image with paint indicating which points to join to be able to set it at 800 and give life to my old laptop?, thanks.

Hi, that article is a blast from the past, I've written it more than 16 years ago, lol. You need to mod your CPU socket like on the first photo (same mod as 133->166). Be careful not to make a short circuit with the first row of pins.
http://dxpc.ru/images/stories/pc/socketmandpfsbmod.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...