HWBOT Community Forums

MSI Z370I Gaming Pro Carbon AC - Test & OC BIOS

Hi,

As requirement for G.Skill OCWC Final, I need to make all my software and tools publicly available for MSI Z370I Gaming Pro Carbon AC that I'm probably going to use for Memory Clock stage.

So here is the link to my google Drive latest test OC BIOS and Command Center Lite for the Z370I Gaming Pro Carbon MSI sent me:

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/1o6ho3cumjOltmyYeAe_ZnMIlYwBQ4xj5

Content:

- Official 1.3 BIOS

- T.O2 and T.O4 BIOS

- FPT Tool for flashing

- Command Center Lite for finetuning in OS

- (not important for OC - InSpectre Tool to check current protection status for the Spectre/Meltdown)

Please do note that until now I haven't tested these BIOSes since I'm still waiting to fix my broken board. So use the file as your own risk!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/10/2019 at 11:25 AM, AutisticChris said:

Any news about the Z390i or 8-core bioses?

I found beta bios here:  https://www.coolaler.com/threads/msi-z390-msi-z390beta-bios.353282/

There is also confirmed evidence of an XOC Bios for the Z390I in this thread:  https://www.coolaler.com/threads/msi-z390-z370-itx-ddr4-5000.353160/

Notice T.12.

EDIT: found one linked from Toppc's Facebook page:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/19K9GMjy1NXVU1oDZOrE_CD2BhTQh5Ced/view?fbclid=IwAR1XHR6WqePXIkgtbEbMaGRYQrEHvTP5KnRHxWXIWz96LoirCGH0VIEp42c

Edited by sabishiihito
  • Thanks 1

Putting it here for G.Skill OCWC 2019 Qualifier T.O6 BIOS for Z370I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (BIOS Release Date 8 April 2019), This should be the latest beta for now.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10Q-uY8y4LbsKPUXfBMX9HjSuzovww0Jk/

Disclaimer: I've flashed the BIOS just to check that it's working, but have not checked the differences in clocking compared to official 1.54/1.6 BIOS, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, sabishiihito said:

What features do the XOC Bioses have for MSI mini ITX boards that the retail don't?  I have Z390i and I can't tell any differences.

It will vary greatly depend on the board and what the problem the M/B RD Team is trying to solve, sometimes it offers elevated voltage levels the normal BIOS don't have, maybe some fine-tuned auto-rule for DRAM timings, slightly tweaked DRAM training parameters to make boot easier at certain speed, etc. Too bad usually these 'Test' BIOSes were made without a clear release log.( I would call this simply a 'Test BIOS', not a 'XOC BIOS' though, as it's sometimes not really validated for XOC).

FOr the T.O6 in particular, the only message I have is that this is the BIOS to try when I wanted to use 9th Gen CPU for RAM Clocking. Not tested much yet, but compared to the 154 BIOS i have previously It solves some training/booting issue I have with 4600CL14 settings on A2 PCB DIMM modules, hope that info helped :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unrelated to the Z370I Gaming Pro AC Files on this thread, I've found a Test BIOS for Z390I Gaming EDGE released on the same day as my Z370I BIOS, I just put the link here for anyone who wanted to try it. I try to buy the Z390I gaming edge but the unit doesn't managed to get sent so I have NOT tried this file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eC9Jkh3bWUpSdvRD2B3uOi_Pi_7t4prE/

Will make a proper topic/thread when I got the board and get all the tools for it, probably some time after gskill.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, AutisticChris said:

@Lucky_n00b How far were you able to get with the Z370I Pro Carbon? Was 4800+ cl14 possible?

Interested because I may buy the board for memory testing.

With decent memory controller and good A2 sticks, it should be possible.

On my short test I got DDR4-4666-4700 CL14 geekbench-able (not tested for full out performance just yet, still messing with the subs)

Also there's a couple shared voltage rails that might made XOC full pot run a bit challenging (DMI is tied to CPU VccIO, and 'PLL Termination' is coupled with 'CPU Standby voltage'), will try this when I have time

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Lucky_n00b said:

With decent memory controller and good A2 sticks, it should be possible.

On my short test I got DDR4-4666-4700 CL14 geekbench-able (not tested for full out performance just yet, still messing with the subs)

Also there's a couple shared voltage rails that might made XOC full pot run a bit challenging (DMI is tied to CPU VccIO, and 'PLL Termination' is coupled with 'CPU Standby voltage'), will try this when I have time

I think the biggest issue is no DRAM VTT option in the BIOS.  Some sticks don't like VTT to go over 0.9v so essentially you're limited to 1.8v with those instead of with most other boards where you can set VTT and raise VDIMM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sabishiihito said:

Well O15 seems to have killed my board somehow.  Flash with FPT went through fine with no errors, but can't power on at all after shut down.  Whee!  Anyone got an MSI SPI1 cable??

MSI cable ? just use Female to Female ( 2.00 pitch ) jumpers for programming with Rasp Pi ( or similar ). Here, I made you an MSI SPI to RPi gpio pinout

PiEepromMSI.jpg

I would try the AMI BIOS Recovery Method first. I made .txt file so we don'y have a wall of text

AMI BIOS Recovery.txt

Edited by GtiJason

6 hours ago, AutisticChris said:

Does the Z390 board have the same quirks, like vtt and shared voltages?

Well, it's always been my understanding that DMI is tied to VCCIO, if you set LN2 type DMI volts but set like 1.200v VCCIO and try to go fullpot you will have a bad day. You can just leave VCCIO on auto tho or set it at 1.4v minimum

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, AutisticChris said:

Thanks!

It was made last minute, I bought XI APEX but it died on me on the last day, so i had to switch board to my MSI one. Glad the board responds well with these kinds of experimental setting :)

edit: the board is limited to 1.55v VCore for now, that's why I can't get my CPU to 7Ghz (also the Ring is rather slow and I can't clock it to 6.2++ with this vcore limit).

Already asked for BIOS to unlock volts, but it didn't made the BIOS deadline for GSkill OCWC

Edited by Lucky_n00b
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, sabishiihito said:

The problem is that the board literally doesn't power on.  BTW the header on current boards is 11 pin:

The board doesn't need to power on if using eeprom spi programmer but if you are saying it just a dead board and flashing bios won't help then don't know what to tell ya.
If you saw my pic flashing the Z370 ASRock itx board, you'll see only reason led's are on is because the Rasp Pi is powering them. There is no psu connections made to board whatsoever. The screen with flashrom running is from Rasp Pi running Linux (Raspbian, Debian etc) using Terminal to probe, find, read, save and program the Macronix or Windbond bios chip. 
BTW that image appears to be for AMD since it's 1.8v, Intel platform uses 3.3v

1.jpg

Edited by GtiJason
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...