HWBOT Community Forums

WTB phase change unit (USA)

Mythical tech

As the title states I am looking to buy a phase change unit (single stage) . Hopefully someone in the United States will have one to keep shipping costs down. Mounting hardware or cad files would be nice to have included but not necessary. 

Edited by Mythical tech

Finding a quality phase change unit in the US is not easy. The few builders you can trust are pretty much out of the game due to lack of time and in my experience while searching for myself and several others, no (realistic ie normal cost of SS +$500) amount of money can buy said time.
That said, I did eventually find one myself used in good condition. So I wish you luck !
Here's mine, charged for 325w load at -40C

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?279898-Under-the-Ice-Single-Stage-picture-guide

http://under-the-ice.com/index.php?cPath=52

• Like 1

well you want to try being in australia , ive been looking for years and still no fortune, ive seen some for sale here sure but the postage, then if something goes wrong ??? because theres no one here that does it it would be a dead unit, ive spoken to so called expert refrigeration guys here and they havent a clue, even sent them the diagrams to look at lol , you have far better than whats available here

1 hour ago, ozzie said:

well you want to try being in australia , ive been looking for years and still no fortune, ive seen some for sale here sure but the postage, then if something goes wrong ??? because theres no one here that does it it would be a dead unit, ive spoken to so called expert refrigeration guys here and they havent a clue, even sent them the diagrams to look at lol , you have far better than whats available here

Yeah, after sales support is really difficult when it comes to single stages, I'm not even going to go to cascades. It's exactly as you say it, refrigeration guys don't have a clue because it's something completely different than what they're doing in their job. Especially if it's a cascade where you need ethylene for the second stage, they don't know where to get it from, at all ? 

i wasnt worried about the sales support side of it, i was trying to get someone on the side to build it for me  out of work time , i was after someone close to me , but never found anyone remotely interested, and  i never even tried on the cascade side of it, i knew from the single stage effort it'd be hopeless even trying

Okay this thread has derailed already. It sounds like there are no builders left so I will have to either get a used one or build one myself. For the second option where is the best place to get affordable parts for building a system or is it just best to keep using my chiller for pre testing and keep with dice for benching(ln2 is 8$ a liter and am trying to find a new supplier but for now I can't get more)