HWBOT Community Forums

What cooling for ambient?

Guest Alex Bese

Guest Alex Bese

Hey!

So I have a custom loop which I built mainly because I wanted to do chilled water, which I tried yesterday, but I realized it isn't working with my current setup that well. (I was only able to be 5.6C below room temp) I know how should I do it next time to have a more bigger gap between cpu temp and room temp,  but I'd need some other stuff for that (which I could buy if I'd sell some of my watercooling gear I don't need for chilled), so I'm thinking letting this whole chilled water thingy go and I'll do ambient until I get my cpu pot, so I can start with dice.

So my question is: Is there a significant difference between a beefy air cooler, an aio and a custom loop? 

17 hours ago, Alcsi69 said:

So my question is: Is there a significant difference between a beefy air cooler, an aio and a custom loop? 

Cold ambient ftw. My loop holds about 5 litres ... so it's easily heated after 1-2 short benchmarks.

More water in a big reservoir, slow pump & good pressure fans on radiators 

On 6/19/2019 at 4:10 AM, Alcsi69 said:

Hey!

So I have a custom loop which I built mainly because I wanted to do chilled water, which I tried yesterday, but I realized it isn't working with my current setup that well. (I was only able to be 5.6C below room temp) I know how should I do it next time to have a more bigger gap between cpu temp and room temp,  but I'd need some other stuff for that (which I could buy if I'd sell some of my watercooling gear I don't need for chilled), so I'm thinking letting this whole chilled water thingy go and I'll do ambient until I get my cpu pot, so I can start with dice.

mate i do chilled water, the best ive ever got is -4c, doesnt last long tho, especially with ambients in the 20c and 30+c in summer with aa intensive benchark thats highly cpu related, soon heats it up, even tho i run ice in my system, soon melts it, then there the condensation problem that comes with it, cpu, socket has to be insulated nice to keep the ambient out to stop that condensation happening

if it was me and youre giving away chilled id go for a loop over AIO or a beefy air cooler, in a case, air flow is very important, (exhausting hot air everything produces ) , out of case its still important but you have more options quickly to add more fan cooling

• 2 months later...

i recommend a custom loop over AIO or air, especially since you say you already have parts. theres a big surge of chinese watercooling parts that are actually decent providing you dont get their blocks. websites like formulamod let you order from hong kong in like a week, and the pumps, rads, tubing and fittings are all cheap and just as good as the branded stuff you get here. off brand d5 pumps from the same factory, compression fittings which are actually unrbanded EK fittings at half price etc. if you have a cpu and gpu block from a good retailer, you can get the reost of the loop for about $100 form china. theres no reason anymore to get air or AIO if you know where to look!

On 6/18/2019 at 7:10 PM, Alcsi69 said:

Hey!

You will probably only notice a significant increase in OC if you are benching legacy GPUs on custom water (compared to other ambient cooling methods). :)

Edited by Noxinite

• 5 months later...