HWBOT Community Forums

HEVC h.265 Decode no absolute mode

Matsglobetrotter

I have a clean install of the latest version Windows 7.  I can run the HEVC in absolute mode when using my 7640x. However when i put my 9960x in the same motherboard and dont change anything except Windows recognizing its a new processor and thus updates the basic core internals it impossible to run the same bencher in Absolute mode. If i do exactly the same change in Windows 10 then there is no issue.

Is there thus either incompatibility with Win 7 and the 9960x processors or is there a specific trick to get it to work?

6 hours ago, Matsglobetrotter said:

I have a clean install of the latest version Windows 7.  I can run the HEVC in absolute mode when using my 7640x. However when i put my 9960x in the same motherboard and dont change anything except Windows recognizing its a new processor and thus updates the basic core internals it impossible to run the same bencher in Absolute mode. If i do exactly the same change in Windows 10 then there is no issue.

Is there thus either incompatibility with Win 7 and the 9960x processors or is there a specific trick to get it to work?

I don't know why it does it, but it seems to be cpu to cpu. Ran a bunch of AM3 cpus and certain cpus don't have absolute mode for me and others do. Not core count dependent or clock dependent. Apparently there is a way to get it to work but the one person I know who figured it out is waiting until after comp to share

Mats:

HEVC h.265 needs a boatload of memory in absolute mode.  With my 7980XE cut back to 32 threads, it takes around 14GB of available memory before the benchmark will even offer absolute mode.  Fewer cores probably take less memory than that, but still a lot.  If there is too little installed or too much is truncated, the absolute box can't be checked.  The increase in cores from 7640X to 9960X and likely a difference in truncating between Win7 and Win10 BCDs could account for exactly what you are seeing.

Edited by jab383
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, jab383 said:

Mats:

HEVC h.265 needs a boatload of memory in absolute mode.  With my 7980XE cut back to 32 threads, it takes around 14GB of available memory before the benchmark will even offer absolute mode.  Fewer cores probably take less memory than that, but still a lot.  If there is too little installed or too much is truncated, the absolute box can't be checked.  The increase in cores from 7640X to 9960X and likely a difference in truncating between Win7 and Win10 BCDs could account for exactly what you are seeing.

Thanks for the tip ? yes that seems to be the issue. its as memory hungry as Y-cruncher on the higher levels.  i never got it to run on win7  with the 9960x so i guess i need even more ram but worked out on win10 and got the right tweaks to get a better score.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jab383 said:

Mats:

This makes a lot of sense, would have to go back and look but the cpus that don't offer absolute mode for me on am3 are typically the 6 cores so perhaps those chips are only seeing half my dimms. I've had a surprising amount of cpus refuse to use all 8gb of my hypers even at stock.