HWBOT Community Forums

z77-ud5 cold issues

Just "tried" to bench my new ud5 for the first time and it was kind of a nightmare. Hopefully someone can help. Did all of the usual things and everything was going fine. Thought I found a cbb @ -90 which I was kind of bummed about but whatever. After a while I realized that it was not cbb because I pulled the temp all the way down and started full pot benching no problem and the system would restart fine as long as I hit reset and did not freeze. I soon realized that anytime the system fails I need to reset bios in order to pass post again. If I hit the reset button than it will boot right up but if I bsod in windows then it wont boot again. Same thing every time seems like it is booting then right as numbers read 99 it restarts. This just goes on untill I reset cmos again.

Any thoughts problem is the same on f5 and f8 bios didnt try any others. This pretty much makes the board unbenchable for me so any help would be great.

thanks for the links, ill read now. Crazy results with first 10l was benching/booting full pot for maybe 10 min and could not get the board to do it again.

@Leegoofd you like ud3h better I had a bad feeling when I bought the ud5h

@sin0822 tried bclk 100-109 all same results

Do any of you have bios s2 ??

it is on TT website: http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28441-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios-11.html#post274647

Hey also if something like that happens I would tear down the system and let it dry out. It sounds like a short or something.

Did you try the backup BIOS?

ya was switching between both of them, just not the way christian suggests doing it. also dont think it was a short because it was acting that way as soon as temps got down below -120. Not saying its out of the question but I really doubt. Thanks for S2 link hopefully ill have time to try it tomorrow.

I have the same problem with my UD3H, bad cbb (tested with 3 cpus) and need to clear cmos after crash. Not a kind board for a bencher.

are you sure, ive tested a fair few UD3H boards and CPUs and i can get it to do what i want every time once i learn how it behaves.

most CPUs CBB at -150C mark or just below, some have no CBB. Like christian discovered you should be using a safe boot profile into windows so if you bomb out most times it will simply just reset and go back into windows (depending on the chip) but if it doesnt turn off, warm up to -145C turn on and it will start up. i rarely have to go to -80 but after a bad crash or if i miss my initial CBB temp mark i would have to go to -80

spend time and learn what it likes and what it doesnt like at the start. this will save you a lot of headaches and LN2 in the long run

that is very odd behavior.

Vaseline and di-electric grease are very much alike, they both have di-electric properties which means they do not conduct any electricity, so i doubt that would be causing this issue. I haven't seen this before, but I have seen some other random issues and I have told people that they need RMA. So i would say RMA the motherboard.

The voltages being set 0.6v wrong could be an issue with one of the ICs on the board, which would require an RMA, as this is 100% hardware defect in your particular board, not a BIOS problem.

Edited by sin0822

This is what i did today.

Pulled down to around -35 and got mem set up. Saved profile tried to make a "safe" profile to boot with, and thats as far as ive got. Been benching for around 31/2 hours now and havent been past -125 one time. Just about every bclk/pll combo and nothing works. About two hours in I realized that every voltage on the board is about .600 above what it is set in bios. Think its about time to accept that this board is a BIG waste of time and money. No matter what settings I use even If im at -50 I cant boot more than 2 or 3 times in a row.

Just rma, a board that's been covered in vasoline is a pain in the ass. What do I do break it so it dosent pass there test only to realize I missed a spot of grease and they decline rma. Or don't break the board and get the same one back., because it boots fine for them. Either way I'm fucked.