HWBOT Community Forums

Why does PCI-E suck so much when the CPU is cold?

K404

*sigh* I couldn't even run PCI-E 2.0 when the CPU was past maybe -70...had to use 1.1...which was GREAT for efficiency :P Has this happened to anyone else?

Has anyone noticed/ does anyone know if the problems are worse with multi-GPU/ PCI-E load??

I'm seeing more and more places where a good Sandy would give me better scores. The efficiency would be on another (better) planet :(

i have same problem here , but is not vga ( tested with ~10 vga´s)is not mb( tested with 3 different mb) ..it is the cpu fault ...the pci-e controller inside the cpu is degraded( i think my last LN2 session damage it)

all gpu´s on this cpu work x8 pci-e1.1 ( on first mb slot -x16)... on second slot ( x8)gpu-z and bios read x2 1.1... i benching with agp on ivy=))))

these days i will send it to RMA

Edited by nachtfalke

gpu-z and bios read x2 1.1... i benching with agp on ivy=))))

these days i will send it to RMA

Similar thing happened to me with the hd3870, but after switching the slots 2-3 times it finally got back to x16 and I forced Gen2 from bios. Not sure if it's cpu related or just a bad contact (I thought so). And I had very odd behavior for all tested cards during the TeamCup with the cpu on cold, however it was with the old one. The new one runs fine I think, except the x2 issue I had once.

Unfortunately can't test it on other boards, because I have only one.