HWBOT Community Forums

MSI R5870 Lightning UnOverclockable through Afterburner??

steponz

Just unpacked it and no lock overclocking this beast...

Tried a couple different versions of afterburner with no luck.....

You can change the clocks, but when using the multi-meter.. no change...

Is there a special version out there?? because the public one doesn't work..

Maybe a driver issue?

step

The funny thing as I have had 4 reference cards before this one.. and they all clocked over 1000 on air... so... Kind of bummed.. It might be because of the cooling though.. not sure it can actually handle much more of oc in stock form.... I was able to oc memory without a hitch.. which was nice...

Default bios that came on the card, Afterburner 1.5

Just spoke to MSI and it's an issue with the bios, should be fixed with the next release of Afterburner 1.5.1 which should be out real soon.

so thats why it wont apply voltages and or random 2d only clocks under ln? Any ideas on when it will be out lol? Is this how the other guys are clocking them, just want to know if I should send my card back.

THIS IS ON YOUR OWN RISK!!

If you still have problems, try doing the following:

- Get the latest Afterburner software (1.51)

- Download the latest bios (in attachment)

Flash the bios to the card using Atiflash (attachment):

- Make bootable USB

- Put all files on the USB (atiflash + rename bios file to tv210ms.sb)

- Boot with ... bootable USB

- use command: "Atiflash -p -f 0 tv210ms.sb"

- reboot

Unlock the voltage bar in Afterburner going to 'settings'. Exit AB, then open again ... now it should work perfectly.

Still clocks like crap on air...

Most of the cards, I hear, don't do that great on air cooling.

Have you tried adding some specers between the back of the PCB and the screws holding the heatsink?

I might give the bios a try before I send it back, but I already have voltage control it just clocks like crap (for what it is marketed to be at least), even on ln2.

Mucho thanks for posting this for us though Massman :)

What are the symptoms of the 'bad overclock'?

Have you tried adding some specers between the back of the PCB and the screws holding the heatsink?

Needs 1.3v to run 1000 core on air, which is much worse than my asus (1.21v) but ok, its air right?

So on ln2 it will run 1200 with 1.3v, seems to like -120c, ok looking better, but there is a hard wall @ 1300. Takes 1.5v to run 1300 core, and that is hit and miss. More voltage does not help all the way to 1.6v. Past 1300 is impossible.

Now I know 1300 is a good core speed, but not for these cards, and not on ln2. my reference card would do 1320 on dice.

(PS I know the voltage control works because I had a DMM on the vgpu read point while testing and it actually overvolts a bit and very stable)

Edited by Dentlord

Small squares all over and freeze, return to desktop with the "display driver stopped working and has recovered" message.

I tried warmer, colder, more and less voltage. The card loses video signal around -155c and really runs like crap much colder than -120

Ah, I have had the small squares before as well, but can't remember how I fixed it.

What voltage modifications have you done?

No mods yet, I thought the point of the extra $100 for a lightning was the great power delivery and clockability unmodded?

Spacers?? Thinking putting more pressure on the chip will help with cooling??

Might try that... Waiting til next week when I get my x58 classy back from RMA and Ill throw it on LN2.. This card should be able to hit 1000 on core without a hitch.

I guess the card is just a marketing hype... Makes me think before I buy another MSI product thats for sure.

Unfortunately we were all hungry for bointage and MSI dangled it in our eyes like we were dogs on a bone. They sure did bait us bigtime. Mine went back. It cost me a 75.00 restocking fee but thats better than wasting 5 sheets. My card wouldn't even run Vantage or 06 at Stock speeds!!!

Looks like spacers did the trick for me.

Wasn't able to run 975 on any voltage.

After spacers and some paste.

Was able to run 1050 on 1250 voltage in Afterburner.. about 1280 actual voltage from the multimeter.

So there is some hope. Ill have to try LN2.