HWBOT Community Forums

Xtreme Addict - Radeon HD 7970 @ 1650/1950MHz - 11781 marks 3DMark - Fire Strike

Massman

Seems like someone missed something in the rules and you're trying to justify it by picking random text from the introduction. If that is the case, then both first and second place should each win a 7970 lightning and Z77-GD80 "the top two challengers using a MSI Z77 MPOWER for the competition with the highest scores will each win great items such as a MSI R7970 Lightning Boost Edition graphics card and a Z77A-GD80 motherboard"

But we all know thats not what the prize scheme is because it clearly states below what the prizes are for first and second. In the same manner, the stage page and submission page make no mention of gpu brand, only motherboard brand.

LIMITATIONS

Only use motherboard manufacturered by MSI.

Use 1 videocard core(s) in total.

A verification screenshot is required.

A verification link is required.

Please attach a picture of your overclocking rig.

Only use motherboards using Z77 chipset.

Must use competition background: link

GeForce GTX Titan not allowed

For me rules are clear - what is not forbidden is allowed.

hwbot.jpg

And in other MSI HWBOT Contest:

hwbot2.jpg

So if someone didn't check rules a few times is not my fault. If there was rule that I have to use MSI VGA - I would use cause I have Lightnings cards (not golden ones, but I have). So I want my result to be back there ;]

Rules were updated (Titan rule) during the contest, and rules should be double checked by that time. Random text isn't clear and obvious - some can understand is as marketing bs, others as it needs separate graphic card, not IGP, especially that there is no "MSI graphic card", only "and graphic card". Text is unclear and the same with the part of "prizes" as Mike mentioned above and he is a native speaker so he clearly understands english.

I spent time, $ on ln2 and also killed Mpower board fighting as a beta tester for this benchmark, keep it in mind ;]

Edited by Xtreme Addict

MSI VGA only, as the main competition page stated. Your result is not valid for the competition. Apoligies for the confusion on the stage section.

You have been around here for a long time now, of course know MSI always requires MSI GPUs. Why not just ask for clarification instead?

Competition page well let's look for the statement about rules using MSI hardware:

"(Taipei – Taiwan) MSI, The world’s leading brand in motherboard and graphics cards, and the renowned system performance testing software company Futuremark, released a new generation of 3D performance testing software 3DMark together; igniting a new fire with the overclocking community. In order for global overclocking professionals to be able to compete against each other with the latest version of 3DMark MSI will hold the online overclocking competition “MSI 3DMark Challenge”. For a duration of four weeks, from February 4 to March 3, 2013 Anyone using a MSI motherboards and graphics cards can compete in the most challenging DirectX 11 scene in 3DMark– Fire Strike. The competition will be divided into two parts: the top two challengers using a MSI Z77 MPOWER for the competition with the highest scores will each win great items such as a MSI R7970 Lightning Boost Edition graphics card and a Z77A-GD80 motherboard; the Z77A-GD55 Lucky Draw activity is opened to all challengers using MSI Z77 motherboards.

To enter the Lucky Draw activity, all you have to do is upload your scores before February 10! We believe this will be an extremely fierce competition and expect to see record-breaking performance!"

in that text there are mentioned limitations:

- use MSI Z77 board to enter lucky draw

- use MSI Mpower Z77 board to fight for the prizes

If you really want to be precise you can find another limitation in this text:

"Anyone using a MSI motherboards and graphics cards can compete" - using dedicated graphic card is obliged (IGP not allowed).

There is really no mention about use only MSI graphic card, there is no where written "MSI GRAPHIC CARD", I was looking for this sentence, I couldn't find any statement like "use MSI graphic card only". If there is no dedicated vendor before the common word, it means "any". If there was "Use both motherboard and graphic card manufactured by MSI" it would be clear that both parts must be MSI products. Not all users have to speak English fluently. But all in all the limitations written in stage page always are strict and simple to be understandable even by google translator. That's their point, not to do confusion.

"You have been around here for a long time now, of course know MSI always requires MSI GPUs. Why not just ask for clarification instead?"

I am taking part in MSI competitions from MOA EMEA, there was precise limitation as I showed in stage page. Next contest was MSI FM2 challenge with IGP - there was no using dedicated GPU, only IGP. Second contest was ECS FM2 challenge which was open for all brands according to limitations in stage pages (ECS FM1 required ECS board). Another contest was GB OC Winterout where stage limitations were written just like in this contest and I won prizes and everything was fine. I am always following limitations in stage page and hwbot rules (like what tweaks are legit, which are cheating, ES rule and so on). Moreover, each contest can have different rules. Lightnings are the most popular on HWBOT, there is not such stress to demand MSI GPU Cards cause all results despite mine were done on Lightnings. MSI needs emphasis on motherboards, cause let's be honest, overclockers mostly use them for MSI competitions, not for top results. So for me it was totally justified why there is no need of demanding MSI GRAPHIC CARD and it was clear. MSI is also now doing SSD drives, so maybe all results now have to be done on MSI SSD hard drives. It can be the same obvious and clear thing as "MSI always requires MSI GPUs".

If someone screwed up (HWBOT or MSI) and forgot to write rules, simply admit it, don't look for "obvious MSI rules which are not written". It's not like ES rules, benchmark settings rules (what is allowed, what is cheating) which are written in HWBOT rules and terms page...

Edited by Xtreme Addict

I think Michal is right. Of course we all know that msi requires only msi vgas in its contests but rules weren't clear enough. It's hwbot's fault because the competition was up for one month or so and noone from the staff noticed this misunderstanding part. But here we have a winner and now you check the rules...

I have resources with Lightnings 7970, now I have 6 cards, 2 days ago I had 7 cards but I sold one lol

hwbotlightnings.JPG

If there was a rule "only MSI GRAPHICS CARDS allowed", I would follow it.

So please don't tell me there was a strict rule because there wasn't. Admit that simply MSI doesn't want to ship prize (cause they thought that only users with Lightnings will win something) and I will leave it alone, I will be angry, but what can I do, I will not sue anyone.

These competitions start to piss me off. Every time there is some really unclear rules or some other issues.

This time it is very clear that there is nothing about "use msi GPU only" in that Fire Strike page. Or am I blind?

If organizer do a mistake in their own rules, don't punish the user. Punish yourself by admitting the error and doing the right thing (MSI).

MSI VGA only, as the main competition page stated. Your result is not valid for the competition. Apoligies for the confusion on the stage section.

You have been around here for a long time now, of course know MSI always requires MSI GPUs. Why not just ask for clarification instead?

The bold part is where I apoligise (and therefore admit) a mistake on my end regarding the stage details. The mistake was on my end for not repeating the limitation on the stage page. Yup, I can make mistakes.

The competition text did mention the necessity for having a MSI graphics card as quoted in the opening post. The competition page did not say "all cards can be used", there were no conflicting rules. At best there could have been confusion, in which case I could've answered the question.

(Taipei – Taiwan) MSI, The world’s leading brand in motherboard and graphics cards, and the renowned system performance testing software company Futuremark, released a new generation of 3D performance testing software 3DMark together; igniting a new fire with the overclocking community. In order for global overclocking professionals to be able to compete against each other with the latest version of 3DMark MSI will hold the online overclocking competition “MSI 3DMark Challenge”. For a duration of four weeks, from February 4 to March 3, 2013 Anyone using a MSI motherboard and graphics cards can compete in the most challenging DirectX 11 scene in 3DMark– Fire Strike. The competition will be divided into two parts: the top two challengers using a MSI Z77 MPOWER for the competition with the highest scores will each win great items such as a MSI R7970 Lightning Boost Edition graphics card and a Z77A-GD80 motherboard; the Z77A-GD55 Lucky Draw activity is opened to all challengers using MSI Z77 motherboards.

Issue solved very positively for me :)

BTW I was 2nd overall ;)

"Okay, updating MSI later today (awaiting some information) with the winner info. They will make a news item about it later this week, which you will be able to find on the front page.

- Winner: Rbuass

- Runner-up: Gyrock

- Lucky Draw: Cagrimir (for this submission: http://hwbot.org/submission/2353621)

As some of you already know, there was a problem with Xtreme Addict's result, which was done with an non-MSI graphics card. For those that like to rant and complain, you can check out the thread here. Even though the result is not valid and is removed from the competition, since the competition stage was confusing MSI will prepare a second Z77A-GD80 for Xtreme Addict.

Sorry for the confusion and let's do it perfect next time!"