HWBOT Community Forums

x79 extreme11 under singlestage weird coretemp! readout wrong???

Dancop

hi guys,

first time for me, running a single stage.

it runs perfectly, but coretemp shows positive temperatures in Windows. ..it's more than positive!

the evap has minus 50 degrees and the cpu at just 4.5 ghz and 1.26 volts 30 degrees plus through coretemp...this can't be true!

the 3960x is pretested by hazzan and can do 5635@1.585!

i was able to run 5400 under water...now under ss i have too much problems.

coretemp shows positive temps. at 5500 load it shows 60 degrees plus, while the evap has minus 46 degrees!

so i think it's a wrong readout...does anyone have that before, too?

hazzan said...under 28 degrees minus it's too cold...so if i can believe the evap, I'm too cold, or could it be, that the cpu is so damn hot???

hi guys,

first time for me, running a single stage.

it runs perfectly, but coretemp shows positive temperatures in Windows. ..it's more than positive!

the evap has minus 50 degrees and the cpu at just 4.5 ghz and 1.26 volts 30 degrees plus through coretemp...this can't be true!

the 3960x is pretested by hazzan and can do 5635@1.585!

i was able to run 5400 under water...now under ss i have too much problems.

coretemp shows positive temps. at 5500 load it shows 60 degrees plus, while the evap has minus 46 degrees!

so i think it's a wrong readout...does anyone have that before, too?

hazzan said...under 28 degrees minus it's too cold...so if i can believe the evap, I'm too cold, or could it be, that the cpu is so damn hot???

Do you have a good mount? I would check that and make sure first as that can be a huge issue, but you should be aware that there is a delta between the IHS and the evap head, so expect a variance, though yours does sound a bit high.

I would remount and then check temps again, my single stage was able to keep my 3960X cool at 5.4 through PCMark 7 with no issue, but Vantage would not run at those clocks.

Thanks bro...I remounted it 5 times now...no change so far.

I was able to bench vantage with 5400 unter 4 degrees plus water!!! So it must be possible with this ss!

I think it's a wrong readout. I'll try it without thermal paste...maybe the ss is too cold and that's the reason my CPU won't work properly

Yes it is...n/a in bios until i raise voltage to 1.55v...then it shows plus 5 or 7 degrees

Here are some pictures:

http://www.abload.de/gallery.php?key=shz1NbPU

You can also see a prime run at 4,5GHz...my watercooler is better at that clocks!

The EVAP at that test has got minus 48°C!!!

There must be a readout failure

Edited by Dancop

Hi Dancop, you seem to be the same user as emertX on XS where I already answered. The normal question is mounting... with evap temps of -48 I would think the problem still lies in contact, because SB-E loads any SS very hard. Maybe using wrong paste? What paste are u using?

Also some more details of SS would be nice, I am guessing it's a high performance rotary one cause I doubt a hermetic compressor can stand the load at - degrees.

Nice setup! That SS seems powerful enough. Contact is good but seems you are using silver paste like mx-2 or something. These thermal pastes is good for air/water but suck badly on sub zero, they harden and don't perform at all. Hopefully this is your problem. Try Ceramique 2 or even better something like gelid extreme. Also maybe slightly less paste would give you better temps but that's not really the big problem.

Yep...you're right!

I tried less paste, gelid extreme, no paste!

That's all not the reason for 100K temp difference!

There must be something else wrong...but i don't really know what it could be? I tested with armaflex donut and without, to ensure the right placing of EVAP - nothing helps...

Edited by Dancop