HWBOT Community Forums

GPUPI - valid multi GPU combinations

havli

This benchmark can use many different GPUs combined to get single score... so I'm wondering which combinations are valid and which are not for HWBOT submission. To keep things simple at the moment I'm only considering similar GPUs.

For example I have these videocards:

2x HD 4830

HD 4850

2x HD 4870

HD 4890

HD 5850

HD 5970

HD 6990

----------------

Obviously 2x HD 4830 and 2x HD 4870 are perfectly fine. But how about others?

HD 4830 + HD 4850 = 2x HD 4850?

HD 4870 + HD 4890 = 2x HD 4890?

2x HD 4830 + HD 4850 = 3x HD 4850?

2x HD 4870 + HD 4850 = 3x HD 4870?

2x HD 4870 + HD 4890 = 3x HD 4890?

2x HD 4830 + 2x HD 4870 = 4x HD 4870?

2x HD 4870 + HD 4850 + HD 4890 = 4x HD 4890?

HD 5970 + HD 5850 = 3x HD 5870?

HD 5970 + HD 6990 = 2x HD 6990?

------------

The common sense suggests to choose the fastest card as a category and select appropriate count. Maybe it is even written in the rules, not sure. Of course 3-way or 4-way setup of identical GPUs will provide better performance... so I don't see an issue in this matter. On the other hand is it OK to use one VGA for more then one category... that's the question.

The same dilemma applies for processors btw - some multi-socket boards accept different CPU speeds or even cores count...

• Administrators

We have not added this rule so far (1.4), it will come and thank you very much that you remind us of this.

I can tell how I personally handle this, you only use same cards and same cpus for multi hardware setups(CF, SLI, whatever, also CPU). For me it is the problem that you cannot use hardware in other categories than the one they belong.

This means, why should we allow submissions with 4870 for example at 4890 category? Your examples make this clear as well, you submit 2x4870 paired with a 4890 as tri cf 4890 and on top maybe use these 2x4870 paired with a third 4870 and submit with same hardware to tri crossfire 4870? Not fair for me and makes no sense, we cannot gift away points for same hardware at same benchmarks at different category twice or even more often.

Edited by websmile

We have not added this rule so far (1.4), it will come and thank you very much that you remind us of this.

I can tell how I personally handle this, you only use same cards and same cpus for multi hardware setups(CF, SLI, whatever, also CPU). For me it is the problem that you cannot use hardware in other categories than the one they belong.

This means, why should we allow submissions with 4870 for example at 4890 category? Your examples make this clear as well, you submit 2x4870 paired with a 4890 as tri cf 4890 and on top maybe use these 2x4870 paired with a third 4870 and submit with same hardware to tri crossfire 4870? Not fair for me and makes no sense, we cannot gift away points for same hardware at same benchmarks at different category twice or even more often.

There are already entries that are made with non matching hardware.

Better get this rule on the books sooner than later.

• Administrators

There were times when all thought this might be an option for the future. Imho, reality now is quite clear, for me it is nothing I would approve, others might see this different, which is why I said that´s the way I would handle it. You are right, we need clarification on this fast :)

Only my sugesstion, choose the highest graphic card you have in the system, like 2x4870 + 4890 = 3x4890. It's the risk for not having exactly same GPU.
That's exactly how it's already done. I've discussed this with Massman as well before launching the multi GPU version. It's also easy to prove: The statistics listed after the result give insight into the performance of each GPU. For automatic submission with successfully detected GPU, the benchmark already does this on its own.

I think it's the best option by far, also for DX12 benchmarks coming soon. Otherwise there could be a "nobody cares about your GPU configuration" category, but I guess that won't be too exciting for slower and older cards.

If it helps, I can add more information about this rule inside the benchmark. But this should be properly discussed and officially enforced as soon as possible. GPUPI won't be the only benchmark to allow mixed cards in the near future!

Edited by _mat_

Not only DX12 benchmarks, asymmetric CF and SLI (to some extent) works even now and provides performance boost for most 3D benchmarks.

But websmile's point is also valid - using one VGA for more categories doesn't seem right.

• Administrators

to speedfastest and _mat I am not against progress, I am against the mess that this can cause and also the flood of non comparable results. Plus, some benchers might indeed exploit this. If this means we award points and cups for people who buy three 4830, one 4850, one 4870 and a 4890 at

1, 4830 single, dual and tri cf

2, 4850 single, dual, tri and quaf cf

3. 4870 single, dual, tri and quad

4 4890 single, dual, tri and quad cf

in various combinations where you use 6 cards and at least one of these, a 4830, is used at four different hardware categories for points results, I am not sure this is an idea I like, and on top I am not sure this helps the intergrity of comparable results at hwbot database.

No idea how far this will move with asymetric sli and cf, but another problem is we get in trouble to rate where a card should be listed, when you say ths statitics gives insight into the performance of each gpu, is the stronger (more points achieved at the benchmark result) then automatically the one that will the result be submitted to? And how do we handle this when we have same configuration but these perform different at another benchmark, for example when you have different gen cards like 480 and 570GTX mixed ( this is only an example^^) and in one benchmark 570 is better and second one 480 makes more of 50% of result?

I would for sure be interested how this can be handled, and how the benchmarks handles this, but tbh I see a ton of loopholes, chaos and quarrel coming up with this, and there are guys specialized that hard on searching loopholes that we already have a hard time xD

Edited by websmile

Just a random thought - similar situation (one HW, more categories and points) already exists and as far as I know i completely "legal". Unlockable AMD CPUs - Phenom II X2 can be unlocked to X3 or X4 and therefore you can submit the same set of benchmarks three times. :)